First Paph :(

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharid Kamal

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am now to orchids and especially a slipper orchid! And this is my one and only!
My Paphiopedilum Pacific Shamrock. It was looking really sad at the nursery, but against my better judgment, I bought it because I loved the flower it produces. A week or so after bringing it home, I found a snail chilling on one of the leaves. :( I repotted asap, today I was inspecting it and noticed that the bigger leaves were getting more and more yellow. And then found this sore on one of the inner leaves. I also have some dead short leaves at the bottom. Can you guys advise me on the right course of action?

TIA!
upload_2020-4-29_20-28-30.png

Itis in the leaf, and from the research I did it is a bacterial issue. I talked to the nursery that I bought the plant from and the told me to cut the leaf off. Thanks for your response!

That's bacterial rot forming. You need to act fast. Dragon's Blood works well if can get ahold of some. Some folks mix DB with cinnamon and a little bit of children's glue (non-toxic) to make a paste then paint it all over the infected area, inside and out. Let it dry completely avoid watering the plant for a couple of weeks. Mist the uninfected leaves to keep it hydrated. Watch that the infected stops spreading and dries out. Then you can begin watering but always watch for returning areas. Use the cinnamon and glue only if you don't have Dragon's blood. Good luck.

That's bacterial rot forming. You need to act fast. Dragon's Blood works well if can get ahold of some. Some folks mix DB with cinnamon and a little bit of children's glue (non-toxic) to make a paste then paint it all over the infected area, inside and out. Let it dry completely avoid watering the plant for a couple of weeks. Mist the uninfected leaves to keep it hydrated. Watch that the infected stops spreading and dries out. Then you can begin watering but always watch for returning areas. Use the cinnamon and glue only if you don't have Dragon's blood. Good luck.
Thank you for the information! I ended up cutting out the parts in the leaf that had it and also put cinnamon on the open wounds. Do I just look for pure Dragon's Blood? I live in Toronto and will buy from Amazon if I can. Will this work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Herb-Pharm-Dr...?keywords=dragons+blood&qid=1588260310&sr=8-9

I also noticed, that it bearly grows, are Paphs slow growers?

Thanks again!

Here are some more pictures. I tried using some cinnamon at the bottom as well. There were some dead leaves down there with I removed. Is that a new growth in the right picture? :( My first Paph experience not going so well. LOL

upload_2020-4-30_11-36-57.pngupload_2020-4-30_11-37-16.pngupload_2020-4-30_11-37-39.png

You need to mist the plant daily. Pull some of the moss away from the base of the plant that way you can get the moss damp as well without exposing the plant to too much moisture.

Ck this one out. Twice as much vol for a little cheaper and it says its 100%
15882620913455178648087702241832.jpg

You need to mist the plant daily. Pull some of the moss away from the base of the plant that way you can get the moss damp as well without exposing the plant to too much moisture.

View attachment 19748

K, I will mist daily (avoiding the crowns) and move some more of the moss. I

will have to buy the blood from the far superior amazon.com not ca :p

Did I do the right thing cutting the leaves? Thanks for all your help, you are awesome!

View attachment 19748

I have this one from Amazon. It has been working like a charm on my Phrags.

Sharid, don't get discouraged. It sounds like you are on the right track with removing the leave and coating with cinnamon. How were the roots when you repotted this plant? You mentioned that it was sad looking in the nursery. It may need some TLC to return it to its full strength.

Latest posts

Back