First Japanese Style Judging of Neofinetia in the US!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neo-guy

Hi Neo fans,
We just completed the first ever Japanese style judging of Neofinetia or Fukiran in the US! It was held in conjunction with the Santa Barbara Orchid Fair.

Presiding judges were Jason Fischer from Orchids Limited and Satomi Kasahara of Seed Engei.

There was great education of how the plants are judged and what to look for. Prizes were given out for the top 5 picks.

All in all a very fun event! There is hope that there can be an American Fukiran Society, with meetings twice a year or so. Jason mentioned a meeting in California and one in Minnesota.

Here is a picture of the 5 winners:
4782577077_cf8a3f88a5_b.jpg

First place was Neo. Hokage (tricolor variegated tiger leaf)
2nd place was the tall Neo. Tomakongo
3rd place was the tiny bean leaf in the black pot

You can see many more pictures of the event here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157624345208723/

Enjoy!
Pete

Nice Tamakongou! Good to see a real fuukiran show in the states. I just went to local show yesterday - it's fuukiran season!

I'd have to agree: It is good to see this happening in USA, n'est-ce pas?! :) Fuukiran season is indeed upon us! My Nishidemiyako is opening its first bud of the season tonight. :clap:

Many thanks to neo-guy for sharing these photos with us!

Nice little show, hopefully it will catch on and become a big event. There appears to be quality out there in the US.

How flippin’ cool is that!!! Thanks for the picture. I’ve just learnt what the more advanced folks among you are on about, when you talk about massive root-stocks on older plants. Geeee, this is awesome!!! Now, here comes the most stupid question ever:
I can’t see any flowers on the bean-leaf… Do Fukirans have to be flowering when submitted for judging?, or are flowers just a side-effect altogether?

I've seen displays at many shows this year near us. Glad to see its taking off. Perhaps soon...judging up our way.

Thanks for the photos, and info. Good to have this here. There seems to be growing interest in the USA for Neos, so this is very timely.

I can’t see any flowers on the bean-leaf… Do Fukirans have to be flowering when submitted for judging?, or are flowers just a side-effect altogether?

In Japanese judging of Neos, the flowers are not important except in the colored or mutated varieties of flowers. The shape and variegation all come into play as well as the root tip color, presentation, moss, and pot!

They find beauty and aesthetic value in the presentation of the plant, with or without flowers.

Pete

Thanx for sharing. In your flikr gallery I like the yellow Kibana and the last photo of the !st place plant is amazing!

I read the note attached to the Kibana with some dismay. Obviously the site author hasn't read http://newworldorchids.com/pages/yellowneo.htm . I have a friend doing some selfings of his yellow Neos. In a few years we will know just if they are real Neos or not...

Welcome to the controversy of the yellow Neo! Both Jason and Satomi (who I respect in terms of Neo knowledge and authority) have stated that the yellows have hybrid ancestry. This is also why none of the yellows have reached the Japanese Fukiraan ranking chart.

But Jason also says they are still highly valued in Japan nonetheless!
Pete

Latest posts

Back