First Flowering - Eric Young (is it really?)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garysan

It's a learning curve...
Reaction score
Might need some help with ID'ing this one actually. Bought as an Eric Young a little under two years ago. This is the first flower it has produced. Really quite yellowy-green with very little orange pigment - not what I was expecting at all TBH...

Lovely size at over 5.5" across but that colour....

eric_young_01.jpg

eric_young_02.jpg

I wouldn't doubt it being Phrag. Eric Young just because of color. Form seems correct to me. From Phrag. besseae forma flavum breeding this wouldn't be surprising.

It looks well within the range of what I'd expect from a P. Eric Young (obviously using besseae flavum), and the size is certainly large and in range, as well.

The color is on the pale side, even for a flavum, but any number of factors could contribute to that. Typically these have a lot more pink in the lip and at the petal tips. However, this time of year, in the heat of the summer (even growing indoors) I noticed that my plant is on the pale side as well.

It looks well within the range of what I'd expect from a P. Eric Young (obviously using besseae flavum), and the size is certainly large and in range, as well.

The color is on the pale side, even for a flavum, but any number of factors could contribute to that. Typically these have a lot more pink in the lip and at the petal tips. However, this time of year, in the heat of the summer (even growing indoors) I noticed that my plant is on the pale side as well.

I have struggled to get nighttime temps down below 21c/22c recently to be fair. Daytimes are up in the 28c/29c.

Yes lovely one i have the organe one but do love the flavum cross, yours is a great one with having the yellow. Very envious comgrats.

Look like what I was expecting from that cross using longifolium album as pod parent. The horns (auricula) are well formed like the one seen in St-Peter with a double dose of longifolium. And this makes me wonder a little but since I came across that evidence with some Micropetalum crosses using longifolium as pod I will say it is possible. Very interesting pastel colouration.

I'm growing to like this (pun intended) ;)

Just re-measured this first flower now it's fully extended and it's 6.5" across and 3" from bottom of pouch to top of dorsal. I't branching now too :)

If it manages 2 flowers at once I'll post another pic.

I'm growing to like this (pun intended) ;)

Just re-measured this first flower now it's fully extended and it's 6.5" across and 3" from bottom of pouch to top of dorsal. I't branching now too :)

If it manages 2 flowers at once I'll post another pic.

Te new measurement makes me doubt now, this is very big for an Eric Young and that bring me back to my first idea Phrag. St Peter…

It's a nice one. One of the palest EY's I have seen. I have seen Phrag Don Wimbers that pale but that's because of the double shots of besseae flavum.

Back