First deflasking - Paph. PEoY

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchidman77

Hey folks! Just jumped in the deep end and purchased my (sort of) first flask from Sam--Paph. Prince Edward of York (sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x roth. 'Leo' SM/JOGA)!!! :clap:

Yesterday, I slid the seedlings out of the flask gently and let them soak in water for several hours to loosen the agar. I read so much about the agar on/off debate, with convincing arguments on both sides, but decided in the end to separate the seedlings now. After an hour of careful separation tactics :rollhappy: I had too many seedlings to count and potted them up in a mixture of small Orchiata Bark and Sphagnum. I did this because (1) sphag has antifungal properties and (2) I know sanderianum hybrids normally like to be a little wetter than most multis. Now, they are happily residing by a low-light windowsill to adjust to the real world inside a small plastic frame; the frame has a few cutouts so it's not 100% sealed. The general plan is to wait about 6 months, or however long it takes before I need to repot the babies into more permanent compots.

Please give any and all advice for deflasking beginners! What else is there to do? I've read everything I can to get ready, but when I got that flask in my hand, I realized that there is still so much to learn!

A few pics for your viewing pleasure are attached. Hopefully they'll feel the love and start growing for me! :p

David

Attachments

• Paphiopedilum PEoY Flask.JPG
    Paphiopedilum PEoY Flask.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Paphiopedilum PEoY Flask (2).JPG
    Paphiopedilum PEoY Flask (2).JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Paphiopedilum PEoY Flask (3).JPG
    Paphiopedilum PEoY Flask (3).JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 58
looking good! keep them gently moist but don't water too frequently (maybe once every 3-4 days or so). very low fertilizer rates as well. Good luck!

Good luck on the flask! Should do well. Give it some gentle air circulation after watering so the crowns and axil dry out to prevent rotting and keep it warm.

Congrats and Good luck. I found the agar hockey puck method didn't work for me. Not too bright and if necessary treat w/ antifungal contraceptively.

Thanks guys! Yep, watering every few days and gradual adjustment to normal conditions...and cultivating a deep sense of patience on my part!!

David

I think Sam's flasks need to have most of the agar off - its very rubbery.
They look nice.

Thanks! I have read the same thing from several people. This is actually why I separated the seedlings and removed the agar...

Any ideas on how long I should keep them covered before I acclimate them to normal indoor conditions? 76/77 degrees F, good humidity (it is Louisiana)...I was thinking 2 or 3 weeks.

David

Update 3.22.16

Hey folks! It's been just over six months and my PEoY plants look great! They receive natural light in a South-facing window and are fed lightly all the time. They seem to love it, and have mostly put out 2-2.5 new leaves that are much wider and thicker than the flask leaves. I know these are really slow, so I think that they are looking great for the amount of time they've been out of flask! Here they are:

3.22%203_zpstndvnlo5.jpg

3.22%202_zpsqx0tzxne.jpg

3.22_zpsakcmyuea.jpg

David

Excellent!!! I'm jealous, I love peys, good growing, if you ever decide to sell one let me know!!!

Excellent!!! I'm jealous, I love peys, good growing, if you ever decide to sell one let me know!!!

I have way more than I ever intend to keep (35+), so I'll sell you a compot! LOL :rollhappy:

Thanks guys! It's so nice to see some real success my first time trying Paph flasks.

I'll keep this updated every few months...

David

Thanks abax, I'm sure it was ALL YOUR work!! :rollhappy:

Troy, I'll contact you when they're bigger!

David

Latest posts

Back