First bloom Phrag. Fritz Schomberg 3N (kovachii ‘Terminator’ x besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ AM/AOS)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a Orchids Limited hybrid and a triploid. They grow incredibly quickly and make big plants with wide leaves. This hybrid has a double dose of besseae from the tetraploid parent so maybe we should expect a ‘redder’ flower compared to the usual FS.
I have a photo of one of their best from this cross sent to me by Jerry Fischer. It had the clonal name ‘big mother pucker’...
It was easily the best FS I’ve ever seen. Just huge with perfect shape.
This photo appears to show a first flowering seedling. Think what it will be like on its third growth!
My plant from this cross should be open in about a month. I’ll post it then.
Yay besseae ‘robs choice’ hybrids...

Last edited:
That is a Orchids Limited hybrid and a triploid. They grow incredibly quickly and make big plants with wide leaves. This hybrid has a double dose of besseae from the tetraploid parent so maybe we should expect a ‘redder’ flower compared to the usual FS.
I have a photo of one of their best from this cross sent to me by Jerry Fischer. It had the clonal name ‘big mother pucker’...
It was easily the best FS I’ve ever seen. Just huge with perfect shape.
This photo appears to show a first flowering seedling. Think what it will be like on its third growth!
My plant from this cross should be open in about a month. I’ll post it then.
Yay besseae ‘robs choice’ hybrids...
You are correct. This is the one Jerry gave me last July in a 1.5” pot. Others (more mature) of this cross were blooming and I commented on the beautiful almost coral red color. He then gave me the seedling as I was buying quite a few plants on that visit. One year later, first bloom. I was surprised it is so red. Newly opened we will see how it ages. When all 3 flowers are open I’ll repost. I photograph with a daylight bulb on black background which gives me the most accurate color. Other than that it’s just an iPhone X photo. I also will try to remember to measure bloom and report.

Wow, you all are very kind. I was not expecting all the nice comments. Encouraging for a under 100 plant two year old light room orchid grower who has learned most things the hard way, except for the kind help of some like terryros .

Yay besseae hybrids! Rob's Choice is an amazing parent. That is amazing for such a small plant. Thanks for sharing. I should try to pick some up, when I'm allowed to buy orchids again. :(

332A896C-A522-4424-AFA0-900329E8762E.jpeg 73F535FE-D4D1-405B-A99A-99E02F5F5D68.jpeg Okay, I went into my room yesterday and my Fritz flower had fallen already! It opened 9/18. I don’t know if I hit it and caused this or overwatered. Second and third flowers have not yet opened, so hopefully will be at the same time to compare old vs new bloom. Anyway, flower was still perfect, sad to lose it so soon.

Back