First Bloom: Paph niveum ‘Lil Ruff’ x Lady Isabel

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is gorgeous! I'd like to begin building a collection of these primarily white, multifloral hybrids. This cross is especially beautiful!
Ah, a man after me own heart! I've always been partial to white paphs, and it's really good to see white breeding into multiflorals.

Dot - you had a 2006 picture of Deception II (niveum x delenatii) that I picture going onto Lady Isabel. I also picture the Sugar Suite (niveum x emersonii) that Donna Phillips had a picture of in 2005 going onto Lady Isabel. It is just hard to get these mating pairs together but if they ever took, it should be an even larger multifloral white with veining, I would think bigger than Woluwense of this niveum x Lady Isabel. I just like things that are pretty AND big.

Dot - you had a 2006 picture of Deception II (niveum x delenatii) that I picture going onto Lady Isabel. I also picture the Sugar Suite (niveum x emersonii) that Donna Phillips had a picture of in 2005 going onto Lady Isabel. It is just hard to get these mating pairs together but if they ever took, it should be an even larger multifloral white with veining, I would think bigger than Woluwense of this niveum x Lady Isabel. I just like things that are pretty AND big.

I gave away my Deception II -- I wasn't happy with the way it bloomed for me. But I do have a very nice Virgo. If it ever blooms again, I'd be happy to share the pollen. Which brings me to a question: Can Paph (or any orchid) pollen be stored in the refrigerator? If so, for how long?

I see your picture of Virgo online. That could be very nice crossed onto a multifloral like Lady Isabel. Jason told me that he knew of a breeder who had gotten a cross of a complex white to take on a multifloral and that should be intresting! Robert/Jason - help with the question of how long pollen can be stored/shipped/shared. I know it can be done. If they don't answer here, I am going to Orchids Limited tomorrow for my mostly weekly visit and will ask.

........ Which brings me to a question: Can Paph (or any orchid) pollen be stored in the refrigerator? If so, for how long?
Shrugging shoulders ..... 6 mos, a year or more? There are hybrids of plants that bloom during the opposite seasons, so we can guess 6 mos. I would guess it depends how fresh the pollen was & humidity. I sent pollen to Africa & Tyronne didn't use it right away.(Do we have any kids yet?)

Back