First bloom on unidentified phal!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlynnt66

Reaction score
Bit of a backstory: my father gave me the majority of his orchid collection when he moved, most of them without any tags or identification. When I received this one, it had just gone into dormancy, and this is the first time I've seen it bloom. I've done a little researching, not particularly in depth but somewhat extensive, and I cannot seem to figure out its parentage (or specific name). Any ideas?
I'll post the first really magnificent bloom is produces!

20201027_171059_2.jpg

Sorry to say this....but you will never ever find out the name or parentage of such an hybrid. The mayority of these crosses were made for mass producing and selling in garden centers etc. without gaving them a name or recording the parentage.

That's a bummer. It's such a deep magenta, and it contrasts with the soft yellow so well. Maybe one day I'll accidentally come across something online. Thanks.

That's a bummer. It's such a deep magenta, and it contrasts with the soft yellow so well. Maybe one day I'll accidentally come across something online. Thanks.
Even finding a photo online won’t tell you for sure.

In addition to the fact that there are “zillions” of mass-produced crosses out there, two plants of the same cross can look different, and two plants of the same clone can look different due to differences in culture. There is simply too much uncertainty.

Enjoy the plant and it’s connection to your father, and be happy.

Even finding a photo online won’t tell you for sure.

In addition to the fact that there are “zillions” of mass-produced crosses out there, two plants of the same cross can look different, and two plants of the same clone can look different due to differences in culture. There is simply too much uncertainty.

Enjoy the plant and it’s connection to your father, and be happy.
Well put!

20201129_213341.jpg

Here is what eventually became of this little gem! I absolutely love the little polka dots. Fairly large blooms as well!

Back