Finally!

• Thread starter Eric Muehlbauer
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

Checking over my plants today, I was thrilled to see that my P. philipinense is spiking! I've only had it maybe....20 years or so? The funny thing is that I got it in a trade as a single growth division...and it spiked that summer. Of course, just as the buds were developing, a squirrel must have knocked it over and broke the spike. So...all the years later, at last! And its indoors now so the squirrels can't nail it. I don't even know how many growths it has...but its very compact. Take care, Eric

Congrats but beware the voodoo curse that follows you ;) Looking forward to seeing the blooms pics!
and you are a patient man...It would have been gone from my collection years ago.

Congrats but beware the voodoo curse that follows you ;) Looking forward to seeing the blooms pics!
and you are a patient man...It would have been gone from my collection years ago.

I thought getting in to all those Bulbos gave you something to look at while waiting 20 yrs for all those roth hybrids to think about blooming.

That's one (maybe the only) advantage of a big collection:wink:

no Rick I only wait 20 years to get the kids out of the house...that takes enough patience thank you. You don't want to let them go and then they turn into teens and you can't wait till they go. ;)

Hi, my paph philippense v. alba is in bud, too:D. I bought it from Sam Tsui sometime last year, and hopefully will be perfect for our show in March.

....... you are a patient man...It would have been gone from my collection years ago.
Me too!

congrats! keep us posted, we'd all love to see 20 years worth of growing.
will DEFINITELY look forward to!

Hi, my paph philippense v. alba is in bud, too:D. I bought it from Sam Tsui sometime last year, and hopefully will be perfect for our show in March.
We'll have a phil expolsion! Excellent!

What an amazing feeling that must be. I'm practically down on my knees for one of my catts to spike after a mere four years (which, by the way, was purchased in bloom). Also appreciated your comment that it spiked from a single growth when you first got it - which goes back to my question about my new Michael Koopowitz.

Would love to see a picture of the plant.

John

Checking over my plants today, I was thrilled to see that my P. philipinense is spiking! I've only had it maybe....20 years or so? The funny thing is that I got it in a trade as a single growth division...and it spiked that summer. Of course, just as the buds were developing, a squirrel must have knocked it over and broke the spike. So...all the years later, at last! And its indoors now so the squirrels can't nail it. I don't even know how many growths it has...but its very compact. Take care, Eric
Maybe, you should have divided this plant into a whole bunch of single divisions, to scare it to bloom?:D

That is patience. I'm practically on my knees for a catt to bloom that I've had for four years (purchased in bloom).

Any idea why it waited so long? It sounds happy.

Its not so much patience as an inability to kill something that is perfectly healthy....no matter how retarded or ugly....And simply the accomplishment of keeping a paph alive that long means something to me...I don't have too many others that age...my haynaldianum and insigne are both older...but at least they bloom for me. I did experiment a bit...one person suggested I try keeping it under lights, instead of my usual full sun. So I tried that for a few seasons, right up against the lights. Grew well enough, just didn't help. Last year I put it back into full sun in the window greenhouse. Then this summer, when I moved it outdoors, I noticed that its usual spot had gotten too shady...only a very few hours of direct sun...so I moved it to a spot where it could get a few more hours of direct sun...that must have done the trick. I'll take a photo and post it soon...and of course I'll take a pic of the blooms...if they don't blast! Take care, Eric

OK...here's a pic of the plant...the yellow growth is the one that was right up against the window...all others are fine...the spike is noticeable now...it must have grown almost an inch since I noticed it last week......

Latest posts

Back