Finally... Phragmipedium humboltii in spike!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t worry Duck, they will gather strength and bloom with glory next year.

I have a feeling each growth takes 2-3 years to mature.

Which may mean that my ‘real’ humboltii might bloom on 3 growths next year!! 🤞

Don’t worry Duck, they will gather strength and bloom with glory next year.

I have a feeling each growth takes 2-3 years to mature.

Which may mean that my ‘real’ humboltii might bloom on 3 growths next year!! 🤞
I’m not sure what you’ll think about this...but here goes. I have had this caudatum since around the mid 90’s. I have divided it, countless times. Last year, I had 7-8 different sized pots of bloomed, un bloomed plants. Some quite pot bound...I decided I had to lighten the load. So I cut out and removed all of the already bloomed older plants. Then potted up all the un bloomed plants... Needless to say, there are 2 plants that have spiked, but they stalled and I don’t think they will go on and bloom this year. I did have some rot issues, after all the cutting but I think it’s over with and I don’t believe I will repot this year.
Next year...

I’m not sure what you’ll think about this...but here goes. I have had this caudatum since around the mid 90’s. I have divided it, countless times. Last year, I had 7-8 different sized pots of bloomed, un bloomed plants. Some quite pot bound...I decided I had to lighten the load. So I cut out and removed all of the already bloomed older plants. Then potted up all the un bloomed plants... Needless to say, there are 2 plants that have spiked, but they stalled and I don’t think they will go on and bloom this year. I did have some rot issues, after all the cutting but I think it’s over with and I don’t believe I will repot this year.
Next year...
Hmmm these plants hate to be divided and will sulk for 2 years minimum esp. the largest one, caudatum. Did you divide with at least 4-5 growths? That seems to be the minimum. Caudatums also like to dry out in between as they grow away from water.

I saw a caudatum with 6-8 growths in a 10 inch pot that bloomed 360 degrees with 14 flowers, with 24 inch petals!! What a sight.

Beautiful! After seeing these pics, I pulled out The Phragmipedium issue of Orchid Digest. Because of the white pouch I thought of the similarities to caudatum that I have. Caudatum, Humboldtii and Warscewiczianum are all 3 a stunning long petal species that intrigued me 25 years ago. Regretfully, I think I’m going to miss this year’s Caudatum blooming.
Do you have a pic of a previous blooming of your caudatum? I'm interested to see.

lovely color... did you flower that in a cooler environment? like next to a cool window, or air conditioning vent? i had read that the darker colors are environmentally driven rather than genetic...

lovely color... did you flower that in a cooler environment? like next to a cool window, or air conditioning vent? i had read that the darker colors are environmentally driven rather than genetic...
I have used them (caudatums) to shade other plants in a south facing window. In years past setting right up against the glass, with Paphs. behind them. This year I think all of the cutting and dividing has kept them from blooming. They are normally a dependable bloomer.

So I decided to preserve/dry the flowers to see what artistic composition I can create. I often keep dried flowers for fun. And I thought the long petals would be shameful to discard. Better to recycle into something memorable.

Here are the edited art versions of the dried flowers. I guess you either love it or thrash it lol.

First is original, second is vignette and last is B/W.

E0B5EF2E-3630-4110-9DF8-114DD8629E17.jpeg3C7DB2E1-8484-4526-A265-762443B28DC3.jpeg45B9469F-2C6B-4BE2-AE63-9A282536E19B.jpeg

the bounty watermark is the best!!!!...

no kidding though... these are all pretty cool...

I read up from the bottom and first thought you had pulled off some magic through photoshop to get the flowers and nothing else...

Say more about how you preserved the flowers?

Back