Finally... Phragmipedium humboltii in spike!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! That is going to be amazing when they are all out. Plus the flowers are arranged so nicely!
Davis
Thanks David.

To be honest, I was disappointed when I found out it was wallisii but as the flowers open with this kind of majestic display, I am impressed.

I can’t even imagine how nature can create through thousands of years of evolution such beautifully delicate structures with long trellises. Like the other long petal species, it is truly a wonder.

And no staking needed!

I think I’m going to keep it lol.

It looks as if a gorgeous flowering, indeed, is well under way, Leslie.

To be honest, I was disappointed when I found out it was wallisii but as the flowers open with this kind of majestic display, I am impressed.
Allowing for the first chock and mental accomodation, when it turned out to be another species than expected, I would have sent you straight to bed - and that without any pudding, if you hadn't in the end come round and reached the only sensible conclusion, that you now seem to have arrived at! ;)

Last edited:
That is just stunning. I flowered this species for the first time late last year. One of the nicest orchids I have ever flowered. Now I just have to get my growths as big as yours. My growths are tiny in comparison.

Today I'm an artist in training 🙃 so I decided to take more pics and play with the phone camera editing non-professionally (is that a word even lol).

Here are the results: love it or hate it 😅

sorry, but of course they are all nice... i love this species...

but i like the last one enough that i'd actually invest in a print of it...

what filter etc. did you use to accomplish that look?...

sorry, but of course they are all nice... i love this species...

but i like the last one enough that i'd actually invest in a print of it...

what filter etc. did you use to accomplish that look?...
I used the Samsung Android phone gallery edit option. So not a new program but built in. Just the camera phone pic. You need to scroll through menu to find ‘cartoon’ option.

Beautiful! After seeing these pics, I pulled out The Phragmipedium issue of Orchid Digest. Because of the white pouch I thought of the similarities to caudatum that I have. Caudatum, Humboldtii and Warscewiczianum are all 3 a stunning long petal species that intrigued me 25 years ago. Regretfully, I think I’m going to miss this year’s Caudatum blooming.

Back