Finally... Phragmipedium humboltii in spike!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 3 years of just greening, my humboltii is finally spiking with two inflorescences and 3 buds each! I’m just tickled with anticipation because Phrags are rare in my collection (only have 5 here) and that they usually refuse to bloom for me. So a double happiness! Can’t wait for the 12 long trellises!

8AE124E9-F5B3-4AB8-80C3-F01DDD9DB8BD.jpeg05BB44AE-C4BD-4098-A277-281EDB5F08AC.jpeg38FB1834-A628-4D54-B33C-6CC82697F487.jpeg

Can’t wait to see the blooms. Congrats. The two spikes are a testament to your fantastic growing ability and knowledge!
Thanks Michael. I usually just wing it lol.

I know what the plant likes (eg bright light and warm). I have a shelf that is bright and warm. I put plant there. Haha...

And that is my secret hehe. That's how I grow. Connecting the dots.

Has anyone had problems with phrag petals extending under home conditions with low humidity (around 30%)?

If so, what have they tried and how successful was that method?

I want to give these buds the best chance. They will open in 1-3 days...

So whats the game plan? humidifier? Will be difficult to confine a hot shelf to raise humidity. I think your best option is a strategically placed humidifier. Will be interesting to see what you come up with. Looking forward to the blooms, great growing!

Oh, my God... you have started on Phrags, too, Leslie?!

Allow me to remind you of the ol' nursery rhyme:
"Slippery, slippery, slippery slope,
Buy him a Phrag, and there is no hope...!"
Haha... cute rhyme.

And no, I have not started on Phrags... I have grown them over 20 years but sold most of it to create space for cattleyas. I only have 5 (including besseae’Carlisle’) now and likely may sell them all off.

My newest obsession is Sophronitis; cernua, wittigiana, pygmeae, brevipedunculata, mantiquera etc!! I want them all lol.

That leaves me a bit less concerned!
My newest obsession is Sophronitis; cernua, wittigiana, pygmeae, brevipedunculata, mantiquera etc!! I want them all lol.
And this info even more so, as they do not usually take up loads of space - and to some are even considered to be just another form for Cattleya! ;)

Last edited:
Oh no! Sorry. I’ve had that happen with me before to a few phrags.. actually kovachii. I thought I was the best grower in the world at the time because it was moving along at a fast clip. Then bloomed as a kovachii hybrid.. wha wha whaa.. what can you do.

Latest posts

Back