finally P tigrinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I got this tigrinum seedling from Sheerwood Orchids in 2002. It's been blasting for the last 8 years, but finally a good flower (and another spike moving along real well).

Also bear with me while I learn a new computer system.

Nice!
Any idea what the difference was in this year over the past 14 years!?!?!?

Well done.
Rick, can you tell us how you grow yours, please?

Thanks all.

I can tell you how I've been growing for the last 5 years (which is not even consistent with the last 2 years). As JAB questioned if I could even summarize the complete 14 years.

It's been in basket culture for the last 5 years and shortly after started the low K program. That definitely increased the size of growths and decreased the amount of growths lost to erwinia rots. There are over a dozen growths now, but this plant has been down to a single rootless growth at least once since its been at blooming size. I've had it in bright and shaded (no real advantage noted), potted in bark or CHC mixes, and even semi hydro in hydroton balls (all were just fine for a couple of years at a stretch). Some years I would be religious about keeping the sheaths dry and some years I didn't keep water off the sheaths (always blasting). This concept actually seems contradictory since the natural blooming season is during the beginning of the monsoon season - so how would the sheaths stay dry in nature?

Anyway the last couple of years I've never applied K at no more than 4 ppm and normally less than 1ppm. I started using lemon juice last July with every watering and that seems to have helped quite a bit too.

It will be interesting if it continues to produce good blooms or continues to blast the majority of sheaths.:wink:

Fantastic Rick! Not only the fact you bloomed you nemesis but you took on the challenge of a new computer too!:poke:
As soon as I saw this bad boy (or girl) I ran right out and potted my small one into a basket!:D

Good job ! Your patience is rewarded. I am also cultivate one but it grows very slowly .

Well done.
Rick, can you tell us how you grow yours, please?

Temps may be a bit warmer this year too. Been having consistent low to mid 90's during the days for the last month (low 70's at night). The spring seemed cooler than normal and I was running the heaters at night to keep night temps above 60 until the beginning of May.

But I probably had 2-3 sheaths blast this spring:confused:

Love the dorsal on this one, Rick. Plus, I'm envious of all those growths. Nice clumping! I "think" my plant will begin clumping now that I'm paying a lot of attention to not letting it stay damp all the time. Very careful watering in a clear pot and now, growing it in a net pot help to give it a wet/dry cycle that seems to suit this species. Have you tried giving it a bit more calcium (Calcium nitrate), once you see the bud coming up. The blasting problem strikes me as a deficiency and my first thought is too little calcium causing weak-walled cells in the tender and rapidly growing flower stems/buds.

Latest posts

Back