Finally got some pics of the devastation

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
Well last Saturday I left my home in Ohio to come help out down here in Houston, Texas and the day after we left the 80 mph winds from Ike made it up to Ohio and knocked out power for about a week. I showed my mom the basic things she needed to do to maintain the tank before I left but was in no way prepared for a week long power outage. She finally sent me some pics today of the tank since I'm gonna be down here for another couple weeks.

Before:
IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

From Today:
Topleft2.jpg

Topleft.jpg

Bottomright.jpg

Bottomleft-1.jpg

Bottomcenter.jpg

So sad ...... :( I know nothing about maintaining such things but hope they will survive

What a difference. It was going so well for you. Please try again, you did so well and this was a freak of nature.

I am so sorry, too! I hope many of the ones you have will survive and multiply!!!

I am so sorry....but I was surprised that several of your corals looked better than I would have expected....at least you'll be able to salvage some things. The blackout of '03 lasted about 24 hours....I lost all but one fish, but all corals and inverts survived without a hitch...but a week is a lot longer! Take care, Eric

Well here she is after removing all the dead corals, siphoning out the slime/hair algae that was completely filling the tank, and doing 20% water changes daily. I also reorganized everything to keep the tank from looking so empty. Luckily reefers are just as kind and generous as orchid people so I've got plenty of "help" coming my way to get back some of the rarest ones I lost. The big white one used to be grey with red, but got bleached out through all this. He should be back to his old self in a month or two.

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

I guess they are doing pretty well!!! Well done!!! In a couple of monthss it will look like natural!!!;)

Sorry to hear about the damage. So, most survived?? Bleaching didn't seem to kill your coral. I thought it did. The bleaching in nature I thought was caused by high temperatures. So stress from any cause can cause bleaching?

Latest posts

Back