• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Finally a white phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don’t like purchasing on eBay. I have made lots of purchases from reputable dealers...with not a single hitch. Make one purchase on eBay and got burned. I know there are lots of great dealers on EBay, I just had some bad luck...I guess.

This plant sold for almost $900 USD!
Wonder who bought it? Anyone from here?
wow , I look it up again after reading your post of the final price, I did not expect it to fetch a price that high, take into account of Eric's post that there are other white phrags before .
The only strange thing is in the bid history, I did not see a continuous changing in price scale up , but a sudden increase from the 292.00 to 888.00 , why that price and that distance jump?
How did the runner up buyer decide the price , and gave up for just another 10.00 outbid from the winner ?
If the flower is as nice as shown , potentially the buyer could enter for award, make divisions in a few years and recoup some money though

Last edited:
I was one of the bidders but didn’t go for higher than $300 for several reasons. First the plant seems blooming a couple times so I wonder how the first flower looks like. Second the plant was grown in Florida, a high temperature area so Phrag tend to has lighter color. I had some seedlings that I put at the rental greenhouse where the temperature is high because it’s Cattleya greenhouse; a few blooms out almost white, I was excited and picked it home with a much cooler environment for Phrag, the next two flowers got the color back :))

Le, you know that bloom is no-where near that valuable. That reminds me of when (he who shall remain nameless) offered me a division of St. Ouen Sweet Snow for $1,500! Bill and Marilyn have plenty of consistent white Phrags at much better prices.

I think with these types we need to see in different years under different conditions to see stability. Only then can one be certain if it’s a true white.
I agree. Phrags can be notoriously unstable. However, as you know, Dr Leslie, AOS judges are suppose to judge what they see on the judging table, not what the plant looked like the day before or what it might look like down the road.

I agree. Phrags can be notoriously unstable. However, as you know, Dr Leslie, AOS judges are suppose to judge what they see on the judging table, not what the plant looked like the day before or what it might look like down the road.
Haha indeed we do judge what’s in front.

But... we take into account the breeding, compare others in the same ilk and then analyze floral components in detail for any sign of pink (eg backlit of flowers, colour marks on stems/leaves, inside pouch and base of synsepal).

I’m just happy to see one in front of me to appreciate and behold.

Latest posts

Back