Few more Paphis in autumn 2020

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today we had bright sunshine here in my region so it was the perfect day to take some photos with daylight without any support of artificial light.
I know there are some more P. gratrixianum here at the moment, but because I like this species very much I can't resist to show mine too.
Paph. gratrixianum:

07195_20.11.17_paph gratrixianum.jpg

I know this Paph. venustum isn't fully blossomed out yet but due to the good light today.....I took the photo nevertheless.
Paph. venustum fma. measuresianum:

07210_20.11.17_paph venustum fm. measuresianum.jpg

About 10 years ago I bought a nice pale Paph. helenae from Mr. Popow sen.. I showed photos here several times. This year I thought I should acquire another Paph. helenae with a normal, more intense colouration......a deeper yellow in the dorsal and more red colour in the pouch. Mr. Popow offered in his online-shop a beauty and the shown photo seemed to fit perfectly to my imaginations, Paph. helenae 'Little Hanoi x sib'. I bought it and was keen how its flower will turn out.......The result is......Now I own two pale clones of Paph. helenae. Lol

Paph. helenae:

07229_20.11.17_paph helenae.jpg

Paph. helenae 'Little Hanoi x sib':

07239_20.11.17_paph helenae_Little Hanoi x sib.jpg

Very nice fall display!
Hear, hear! The gratrix has a very nicely coloured dorsal and the beautifull measuresianum seems to have some rather lengthy petals (will you be so kind as to update us on the NS, when the flower is fully opened?).

Every helenae is a joy, but I was also somewhat
disappointed with the last one, I got from Popow. In their photo it had a dark, orangey-honeylike colour/glow - no comparison to the little, pale fellow, I bloomed out recently (short of 'Long and Short'). Maybe they had a mix-up of flasks and labels? Ironically, your first helenae seems to me in all respect to be the better of the two - and its dorsal colouring is in no way pale, very nice yellow and with a nice and clearly delineated, white margin.

Every helenae is a joy, but I was also somewhat
disappointed with the last one, I got from Popow. In their photo it had a dark, orangey-honeylike colour/glow - no comparison to the little, pale fellow, I bloomed out recently (short of 'Long and Short'). Maybe they had a mix-up of flasks and labels? Ironically, your first helenae seems to me in all respect to be the better of the two - and its dorsal colouring is in no way pale, very nice yellow and with a nice and clearly delineated, white margin.
Perhaps, maybe... you are growing too bright or too dark? I know some orchids need sun to 'color up', and some orchids bleach out in bright light.

And yes, sometimes it is just genetics. :)👍

....beautifull measuresianum seems to have some rather lengthy petals (will you be so kind as to update us on the NS, when the flower is fully opened?).........

Jens, the span of the petals from tip to tip is 9 cm (3,54 inch for our American friends).

Latest posts

Back