Few Brachies in spring 2021

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Brachies seem to be reliable bloomers but this year not every plant was completely succesful. But this wasn't the fault alone of these plants but mine, too. 1 1/2 week ago I broke off the flower spike of my Paph. niveum because I wasn't careful enough when watering. Also i damadged the flower of on of my Paph. godefroyae, which I bought as Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum.....but it has spots on the pouch, while looking if she opens more.
But the rest is doing well as you can see. They all have flowered more or less anually on my west facing window sill.
Pah. godefroyae f. album :

07332_21.05.20_paph godefroyae album.jpg

Paph. concolor :

07350_21.05.20_paph concolor.jpg

Paph. thaianum :

07378_21.05.20_paph thaianum.jpg

Last edited:
I like your Brachys a lot! Especially the leuco album is really cute! Also nice photo quality!

Update July 2021
Although the 'old' flower of my Paph. thaianum still is/was alive (I cut it after taking the photo) there is already a new bud ready to blossom out.

07479_21.07.13_paph thaianum.jpg

Furthermore my Paph. godefroyae....almost var. leucochilum is in flower. She carries just few spots on the right side of the pouch.....the other side is pure....but they pouch isn't pure white. Next time I'll buy a Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum only when it's flowering and when I can see the flower personally with my own eyes.

07470_21.07.15_paph godefroyae.jpg

Update July 2021
Although the 'old' flower of my Paph. thaianum still is/was alive (I cut it after taking the photo) there is already a new bud ready to blossom out.

07479_21.07.13_paph thaianum.jpg

Furthermore my Paph. godefroyae....almost var. leucochilum is in flower. She carries just few spots on the right side of the pouch.....the other side is pure....but they pouch isn't pure white. Next time I'll buy a Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum only when it's flowering and when I can see the flower personally with my own eyes.

07470_21.07.15_paph godefroyae.jpg
The pure white pouch demand is an asinine joke.

The pure white pouch demand is an asinine joke.

Brucher, I don't think so. The pure white pouch is the main characteristic to distinguish P. godefroyae var. leucochilum from P. godefroyae. Meanwhile there are sellers/nurseries who sell everything with only few spots on the pouch as P. leucochilum. The describtion of P. g. v. leucochilum referes to a pure white/creme pouch....that's it. I won't count spots on the pouch......and once I had a P. leucochilum with a pure white pouch.
And by the way the name leucochilum comes from old greek λευκός (lefkó ) means white and χείλος (cheílos) means lip....so leucochilum means 'white lip'.

paph_leucochilum.jpg

Last edited:
Update August 2021

I bought this plant as Paph. godefroyae from Bosha Popow many years ago (the tag says in 10/2003). When it flowered for the very first time it didn't look like a pure Paph. godefroyae. After some search and and the help of members of this forum its identy seemed to be decoded.....Paph Greyii (Paph. godefroyae x Paph. niveum). It's a reiable bloomer and I can count of at least one flower almost every year.

07659_21.08.26_paph Greyii.jpg

Latest posts

Back