Fertilizer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

consettbay2003

Reaction score
If stored fertilizer absorbes moisture and becomes 'wet' does this affect it's chemical makeup?

I'm no expert but I don't think so. The water probably just produces a physical change & not a chemical change.

Thanks for your response. I'm assuming the only difference will be the amount I need to use to reach my target EC.

Depending on the makeup, you could also get precipitates which will become insoluble. for instance nitrates and sulphates. (I think)

Other than urea I can't see why moisture would make a difference. If the chemicals are going to precipitate they would precipitate when mixed with water for application (and be unavailable to the plant) just as with the water which has condensed on the fertilizer. If there are concentration-dependent precipitation reactions occurring, then the higher concentration of the water on the fertilizer would cause those reactions but they would reverse when diluted.

Latest posts

Back