Feeling old

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I suspect we all have moments when we fully grasp that we are old. Most of the time it is because of the new slang or technology, but today, while looking at some old photos, it hit me like a hammer. This is a photo from around 1910 of a family gathering of my great grandparents and their siblings and cousins. They are standing in front of a steam threshing machine at one of their farms. After looking at the faces and names on the back of the photos, I realized that I personally knew 5 of these people and that 2 of them were already adults in this photo. Mike
for ST.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, Mike. It is funny how I so longed to become an adult when I was a kid. Now that I am an adult, I wish I was a kid again. When my father died of cancer two years ago (and a few others in my families on both sides, but he was the only one that I was there next to him until the very last moment), it really hit me hard. Getting old, life, and the unknowns. It is a strange complex feeling. I don't know how to quite deal with it other than trying not to think about it too much.

The feeling has been creeping up on me for a couple of years. One learns to live with the knowledge of mortality. Sometimes
I think it might be a relief when one gets weary of the struggle to live an ethical life at this time in our evolutionary development.

Eric,
you are so kind!
thanks for thinking of those of us in this situation.
l‘ve just retired and lost both parents in the past two years.
It changes your outlook fundamentally with the knowledge that ‘it’s your turn next’.

David

It changes your outlook fundamentally with the knowledge that ‘it’s your turn next’.
David
I lost my sister years ago and my Dad a couple of years ago. They both had full lives, in their own ways. Live life and enjoy, you never know when you will get called. I will send you my address, put my name on the tags and don't worry about the postage fees. :)

I was not supposed to live at thirty due to serious illness - several bouts of some illness over the years (73 now). Makes u life pretty fearless when u face mortality at 30! I am so amazed to still be here and with my new lady slipper collection (94)

will offer them all for sale very reasonably to u guys when the time is right !! Leave instructions for executor too!

we are moving my collection north to our summer home in Nc soon .2FB6DB99-12A2-447A-9EA8-8B578B4C97B2.jpeg734773C6-AF93-4663-A6FD-A718A0D2CECD.jpeg2FB6DB99-12A2-447A-9EA8-8B578B4C97B2.jpegE5AF01CC-2198-4722-A1E1-86F340E93A74.jpegE5AF01CC-2198-4722-A1E1-86F340E93A74.jpeg

Not if you're the one with the injury.

i was thinking that might be your comeback when i typed it... but i have to admit that taking my aches and pains lately with a laugh has been helpful.... ;-)

Sometimes I think it might be a relief when one gets weary of the struggle to live an ethical life at this time in our evolutionary development.
An interesting thought, but I also think that the permanent demand for political and gender justice can drive people to their deaths.
I prefer a quiet life in the orchid culture and without contention with other people.

Last edited:
Back