Favorite Recipe Megathread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several people have asked me for the rhubarb custard crisp recipe, so I thought this would be a good place to post it. It is actually a combination of two recipes, one adapted from a rhubarb custard pie from a cookbook of 1954, and the crisp recipe that is part of an apple crisp from our family cookbook.

Rhubarb Custard Crisp:

Heat oven to 325º F.

Filling:
4 cups chopped rhubarb (maybe nyeric will like it better if it's called pieplant) -- actually, when I make it again, I'll use 6 cups.
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons whole or 2% milk
3/4 C. sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg or mace
Mix beaten egg with milk and dry ingredients, then mix with rhubarb. Pour into 9 x 12 " baking pan that is buttered (or coated with Pam or whatever)

Crisp:
3/4 stick of butter, softened (6 tablespoons)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup quick oatmeal (not instant)
Mix all together and crumble onto rhubarb mixture.

Baking time, approximately 45 minutes.

It's good alone or served with whipped cream or ice cream.

spiced buttermilk applesauce cake w/maple-apple cream cheese frosting

I went searching online for a good applesauce cake recipe because I had seen some for sale at a local large garden stand business (and didn't want to pay $5 for a slab of cake....). It turned out that the recipe that looked the best to me was one that I already had. One of my older brother's girlfriends from when he was in college had given me a cookbook titled 'A World of Baking' by Dolores Casella which has some interesting recipes in it. One of the recipes was called Prune Spice Cake and one of the variations is called Applesauce Spice Cake. The recipe is to fill two 8" round layer cake pans; I used a deep square 8" pan and a round 8 or 9" one, but I think the recipe would fill a 9" x 13" pan.

For the applesauce, I used home-made apple-pear sauce with the skins left on and some apple cider in the sauce. If you purchase apples from local sources (not grocery stores) they often don't have the wax or resins on the outside so you don't have to peel them. I also modified the recipe a bit and I'll give it as I made it. Some spiced applesauce cake recipes also include frosting; many don't need the frosting and this cake is very good on it's own, but if you top it with the frosting from the recipe below, and maybe even put some walnuts or pecans on top of the frosting, the taste will blow you away!
The author writes that she received the recipe from a woman who had been making this cake each week for 50 years!

all ingredients are supposed to be at room temperature

Ingredients

2-1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 cup sugar (or less if your applesauce is very sweetened)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1-1/2 cups chunky applesauce
1 extra apple sliced into small 1" pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk (can use buttermilk powder and milk)
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup melted butter

In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda
and spices. Stir in the applesauce and then the buttermilk. Add the egg yolks,
melted butter and vanilla extract and blend thoroughly. Beat the egg whites
until stiff and fold carefully into the batter. Turn into the pan(s) that have
been buttered and dusted with flour. Take some of the thin extra apple slices
and place on the top surface of the cake. Bake in a 350˚F oven for 30 to 35
minutes, or until cake test done with a wire or toothpick. Cool in pans for 5
minutes before turning out onto racks.
Note: Batter may be baked in prepared muffin tins. Bake in 350˚F oven for 20 minutes or until done. Makes approx. 16 muffins

Maple-Apple Cream Cheese Frosting
this frosting recipe originally came from one for cinnamon swirl buns; the
ingredients are changed slightly. The recipe will yield well more than enough
for all of the cake made from the above recipe

Ingredients

1 8oz container cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
6 teaspoons milk
2 tablespoons concentrated apple cider (can be purchased from king arthur
flour company online or boil some down yourself)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
if you like, you can place halved or chunky walnut or pecan pieces on top of the frosted cake

While cake is baking, (or just taken out to cool) whip the softened cream
cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the flavorings and whip on high speed until
blended. Add half of the powdered sugar; stir on low until the sugar is
completely incorporated. Add the remaining powdered sugar and incorporate
on low speed; whip until light and fluffy.
the original recipe calls for a tablespoon of vanilla extract

when the cake(s) have cooled substantially, cover with frosting and try to resist eating the whole cake!

My tree is a Fuyu:>

I just read your recipes for persimmon pie and cake. This Thanksgiving, I'll be at my sister's house, and she has an American persimmon in her yard. If there is enough fruit still on the tree, I'll try to make one of your recipes. By Thanksgiving, my sister's persimmons will have had at least a frost or two, so they should have sweetened up by then. Some years they are all on the ground by Thanksgiving, some years they are still on the tree. We'll see what happens.

@ Eric. When wandering the woods keep an eye out. The American persimmon is not a rare tree. Zone 6 to zone 8 they are found, usually at woodland edges. The fruit needs to be soft ripe, best after a frost or two, to sweeten up. If green they are very astringent.

Ginger Steamed Lobster

Marinade:
2 tbsps Chinese white rice wine, or gin
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsps scallion oil (recipe follows if you can't find any.)
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
White pepper to taste
1 teaspoon grated ginger

Scallion Oil:
1 1/2 cups peanut oil
3 to 5 bunches if scallions (for about 1 lb.)

1 fresh 2 pound lobster
3 tbsps finely chopped ginger
4 or more scallions, cut about 1 1/2 inches in length
Cilantro sprigs

For scallion oil, cut the scallions into about 2 inch pieces, lightly crushing the white portions. heat a deep stock pot for 30 seconds and add the oil and scallions, emerging the scallions. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain through a fine strainer and cool. Refrigerate.

Mix marinade together. Either cut off the head and claws off the lobster or have your store do it. be sure to clean out the inedible parts if the cavity. cleaned. Cut a slit in the upper and lower part of tail for the marinade to reach the meat. Cut head and claws into pieces. Place lobster in a bowl and mix in the marinade. Coat and rest for 30 minutes or so.

Put lobster in a steam proof dish and pour marinade over. Sprinkle chopped ginger and scallions over the top. Steam for 12 to 15 minutes or until shells turn red and meats white. Don't over steam or it will be tough. Remove from steamer, garnish with cilantro sprigs!

Just gotta say, I hate auto correct and now I'm blushing beat red!!! I won't tell you what was typed in the recipe, so you'll just have to find it yourself. Too embarrassed to say what it is...

you can edit your posts.... (then nobody will know ;) )

sounds good! so you aren't steaming a live lobster (I guess obvious if you have the store clean it and cut it up)

Just figured out how to modify in Tapatalk!!!! Whew!!!!

You can get a live lobster if you want, just have your fishmonger clean it for you. Personally, I just buy a pre-cleaned lobster from the store, thaw and use.

pumpkin bread pudding...

from king arthur flour company. made it the first time tonight and it turned out great. it could have used a little more sweetness and the squash I used was a bit watery and could have used a little more flavor, but it overall turned out very well

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

6 large eggs
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin or squash
2 cups (16 ounces) light cream or half and half
1 cup (8 ounces) milk
3/4 cup (5 7/8 ounces) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (2 1/2 ounces) brown sugar
1/4 cup (2 ounces) rum, optional
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 cups (about 18 ounces) bread*, cut in ¾" cubes
*Try using our (king arthur flour's) Holiday Pumpkin Bread. The recipe makes 2 loaves, so you can enjoy one, and save the other for this pudding. Or use any non-savory bread: brioche, a sweet bread, or plain white or whole wheat
bread.

(I used a mix of whole wheat and whole grain bread)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, half and half, milk, sugars, rum, salt, spices, and vanilla, stirring to blend.

Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish or a 9" x 13" pan; if you’re going to refrigerate the pudding before baking, be sure to use a dish that can go from the fridge to a hot oven. Place the cubed bread in the dish in an even layer, and pour the liquid mixture over it. Let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, or for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.

When you're ready to bake the pudding, stir it together to redistribute the custard; quite a bit of it will have been absorbed by the bread. Sprinkle with grated nutmeg, if desired; and bake in a preheated 350°F oven till set and beginning to brown, about 40 to 50 minutes.

Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream; garnish with minced crystallized ginger, if desired.

Yield: 2 dozen small servings, or fewer larger servings.

Skillet Apple Cake

Another King Arthur Flour Co. dessert recipe; tried first time, edited slightly, turned out very nicely. The recipe calls for baking in a cast-iron skillet or 9" square baking pan

Topping
1-1/2 lbs tart apples, cored and sliced (4 or 5 large, about 18oz., 5.5 to 6 cups) if your apples aren't fresh or aren't tart, you can add a teaspoon or two of lemon juice to the apple mixture while you are mixing up the other ingredients
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons boiled cider, optional (can find at ka flour online or other specialty stores, or make yourself (boil cider gently and reduce to 1/7th it's starting volume)
1 teaspoon apple pie spice, or 2:1 cinnamon/nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cake
1-1/3 cups king arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup lukewarm milk, or 50:50 yogurt and milk, maybe slightly more milk to end up with a little more than 2/3 cup liquid
1 large egg
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
coarse sprinkling or pure cane sugar to sprinkle on top, optional

Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Butter a 9-1/2 to 10" (2" deep) cast-iron skillet or a 9" cake pan

Combine the apples with the brown sugar, boiled cider, spices, and salt. Set aside.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Sift, set aside.

Melt the butter in a glass container, add the milk (and yogurt) and stir quickly until well blended. Add eggs, stir until well blended and do the same with the vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, stir to combine. Pour into buttered skillet. Spoon the apple mixture onto the batter and press down into the batter if the batter is a bit thick. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.

Bake the cake for about 50 to 60 minutes, until it's light brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove it from the oven, and cool for about 5 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cake from the pan, and cool for another 20 minutes or so before serving.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings

I used 6 cups of apples and could have used 5.5 cups instead, or made the cake batter a little thinner by using some more milk, or I could have put the apples into the pan first and then poured the batter over the top. Adding the yogurt the way I did, it didn't rise up as much as in the pictures I saw, but it was very good.

step-by-step illustrated instructions: kingarthurflour.com/recipes . Search: Skillet Apple Cake

Bump

I'm baking two loaves of the pineapple raisin zucchini bread that's highlighted in this thread for a church covered dish dinner. So much for my diet! :)

7a8d3ab317cb7edc4e8578825d009ece.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back