Favorite Recipe Megathread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is - that photo on wikia is way wrong. C. sativus, probably originally from Greece. Apparently it traveled a lot, as people think all saffron now around the world came from one source. Earliest known reference to it is reportedly 2300 BC, and it has been used as a cosmetic, room fragrance (scattered on the floor), dye and spice.

It doesn't come from the stamen; rather, it comes from the threads that surround the stamen. FYI.

By request:

Rhubarb Custard Pie:

Ingredients for a 10” pie:
4 – 5 stalks rhubarb, cut in 1/2” pieces
3 eggs, beaten
3 T. milk
3 T. flour
1 1/2 C. sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 t. mace or nutmeg
1/4 t. cinnamon
Whisk beaten eggs together with milk, sugar, flour, and spices. Combine with rhubarb, and pour into unbaked pie shell. Cover with lattice top, or leave uncovered. Bake at 400º for 45 minutes with edges covered with aluminum foil, and another 10 - 15 minutes uncovered. Refrigerate after cooling.

This is my recipe for oil pastry (crust) from a 40+ year old Betty Crocker Cookbook:

10-inch two-crust pie:
2 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup salad oil
4 to 5 Tbsp cold water

Just for the record, I do a scant measurement of the oil quantity, always use the larger quantity of cold water, and never use salt. I guess they turn out OK... I also usually use about 2/3 of the total flour as unbleached white, and the other 1/3 as pastry whole wheat or sometimes others (like rice or spelt or…whatever).

I made this tonight.....Got an octopus (frozen), a few squid, and shrimp with their heads on. While the octopus boiled in garlic, spices, and a little balsamic vinegar, I boiled some shrimp heads to make a stock. I added the squid to the stock (briefly) to cook the water out of it. OK...dinner: Sauteed garlic, onion, a hot pepper, in olive oil..added a tiny bit of anchovy paste and quite a bit of home grown thyme. Added some red wine and some shrimp stock...boiled it off to reduce, then added a can of diced tomatoes and a little bit of sugar. When it heated up, I added the pre-boiled squid and octopus, cut into bite size peices. When ready, I added the shrimp and some home grown parsley...ate it over pasta.
Don't like octopus? This is what I made for my son....
Sauteed some onions and garlic, then added some white wine and anchovy paste..when it began to reduce, added some chicken liver..sauteed until done, served over the same pasta, along with some steamed tromboncino squash (home grown). Had the whole mess with a nice cabernet sauvignon....Take care, Eric

I made this tonight.....Got an octopus (frozen), a few squid, and shrimp with their heads on. While the octopus boiled in garlic, spices, and a little balsamic vinegar, I boiled some shrimp heads to make a stock. I added the squid to the stock (briefly) to cook the water out of it. OK...dinner: Sauteed garlic, onion, a hot pepper, in olive oil..added a tiny bit of anchovy paste and quite a bit of home grown thyme. Added some red wine and some shrimp stock...boiled it off to reduce, then added a can of diced tomatoes and a little bit of sugar. When it heated up, I added the pre-boiled squid and octopus, cut into bite size peices. When ready, I added the shrimp and some home grown parsley...ate it over pasta.
Don't like octopus? This is what I made for my son....
Sauteed some onions and garlic, then added some white wine and anchovy paste..when it began to reduce, added some chicken liver..sauteed until done, served over the same pasta, along with some steamed tromboncino squash (home grown). Had the whole mess with a nice cabernet sauvignon....Take care, Eric

:clap: sounds very good (both versions!)... I definitely need to try it...

OK...some more recipes. I did this last week. My family loved it. Its basically a paella, but using potatoes instead of rice. Since potatoes don't absorb water like rice, its a little more liquidy...but still fantastic. You can mix or match the seafood from what I used, but I can't conceive it being good without some squid and clams/mussels.
Potato "Paella":
Saute some pieces of good spanish chorizo, along with some garlic, onion, and sweet red pepper....a little hot pepper is a great idea....
Add some diced potato....a little white wine, and some saffron soaked in a little hot water
Add littleneck clams, and sliced squid
Cover and let it simmer until the clams open...remove them as they open so that they don't overcook.
Boil off some of the liquid if there is too much....
When nearly ready, add shrimp and scallops.
When cooked, eat! With a nice Spanish wine like an Albarino or verdejo............
Tomorrow: Bluefish areganata...with the bluefish I caught today!!!!

Eric, try this recipe with vermicelli or other thin noodles instead of potato or rice... it would be then a Fideoa! I like a lot better than Paella!

I'll go for that! Do you pre-boil the pasta, or add it dry? I would guess cooking it part way, like I do for lasagna.....

I'll go for that! Do you pre-boil the pasta, or add it dry? I would guess cooking it part way, like I do for lasagna.....

nope, you use the pasta very dry as it come from the pack... think of it as if it were rice ;) You will need to add the HOT water slowly as for Rissoto, until you learn how much water you would need...

Ramon- I cooked it tonight....fantastic! First, I sauteed onion, garlic, chorizo and chanterelle mushrooms in olive oil...added some white wine ( a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc ...not much...I wanted to drink the rest!) and saffron and Spanish paprika, a touch of sugar..., then squid and clams. Removed the clams as they opened. Broke up angelhair pasta, and let it cook in the liquid exuded by the squid and clams. Added some peas and scallops..when the pasta needed moisture, added some chicken broth and a drop more wine...my family never wants to go back to paella again! Take care, Eric

Best vegetarian dish EVER.
I love a juicy beef burger, but would happily give it up for these. My husband too!

Grilled Eggplant Burgers

1 Large Egg Plant
½ tsp salt
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp dried thyme
Black pepper
Focaccia loaf/ buns
2 tomatoes
6 large basil leaves

Spread
¼c extra virgin olive oil or light mayo
2 tbsp finely grated cheese (parmesan or romano)
1 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp black pepper

Tatziki (spread)

Peel eggplant; cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand in colander until moisture seeps out, about 10 minutes. Pat dry with paper towel (rinse first if desired).

Whisk together oil, lemon juice, thyme and pepper; brush half over eggplant. Place on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and grill, turning once and brushing with remaining oil mixture, until tender, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise/olive oil, cheese, lemon juice and pepper; set aside.

Cut focaccia loaf into 4 pieces; cut each in half lengthwise. Sandwich eggplant, Spread & Tatziki, cheese, tomatoes and basil leaves in focaccia.

Christine and I have been making this cheesecake for 25 yrs.

Preheat oven 300F.
Crust- in nine-inch glass pie plate
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
Mix together above ingredients and press with fingers into pie plate

Filling-
2 - 8 oz. softened cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat cream cheese until soft and fluffy
add eggs and sugar and beat well
add milk and vanilla - blend well and scrape bowl often and mix a little more

Pour into graham crust
Bake at 300 F. for 45 minutes in preheated oven
DO NOT OVERBAKE
When done, spread pie filling (one can store-bought pie filling - we use blueberry or cherry Comstock brand) on top, refrigerate and serve cold

persimmon recipes

I was recently reading through Dolores Casella's 'A World of Baking' and found a few recipes that used persimmons. I've also read that Candace has lots of persimmon but doesn't use a lot of it, so thought maybe some of these recipes might be helpful.

Persimmon Pie (similar to pumpkin pie)

unbaked 9" or 10" pie crust
1.25 cups persimmon pulp (whirled in blender to get perfectly smooth)
2 large eggs
.5 cups sugar
.5 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups half-and-half
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Again, whirl it all in blender to make very smooth. Pour into well-chilled, prepared pie shell. Bake at 450˚F oven for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350˚F and bake another 30-35 minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------
California Persimmon Cookies

('this fine fruit cookie lends itself to variations. for example, you might use 1 cup of one of the following in place of the persimmon pulp: drained, crushed pineapple, canned, whole cranberry sauce, applesauce, or cooked, mashed prunes. and instead of making drop cookies, you might spread the batter in 2 buttered 8" square pans. bake and cut into small squares or bars while still warm.')

2 cups sifted flour (you can use part whole-wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
.25 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
.5 teaspoon nutmeg
.5 cup butter or margarine
1 to 1.5 cups sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon or arange rind (optional)
1 cup persimmon pulp
1 cup raisins or chopped, pitted dates
.5 to 1 cup chopped nuts

sift the flour with the baking soda, salt and spices. cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until light. add the egg and flavorings and blend. stir in the persimmon pulp, the sifted ingredients and the fruit and nuts. blend thoroughly. drop by spoonfuls onto buttered cookie sheets and bake in a 350˚F oven for 20 minutes. cool on racks. recipe makes 3 to 4 dozen cookies.

---------------------------------------------
Persimmon Spice Cake

'a moist, delicious cake with good keeping qualities. have all the ingredients at room temperature.'

1.75 cups sifted pastry or cake flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
.5 teaspoon nutmeg or cloves
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons lemon or orange juice
.5 cup light raisins or chopped, pitted dates
1 cup sugar
.5 cups butter or margarine
1 large egg
1 cup persimmon pulp
.5 cup chopped nuts
.25 cup candied fruit peel

combine flour, spices and soda. sift into a bowl and set aside. pour the fruit juice over the raisins or dates and stir. set aside. cream the sugar and butter until light. add the egg and beat in. stir the persimmon pump, which has been either pureed in a strainer or whirled in the blender, into the creamed mixture. stir the sifted dry ingredients into the creamed mixture and then add the raisin-juice mixture, the nutes and the candied peel. turn batter into a buttered and floured 7" x 11" baking dish. bake in a 300˚F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cake tests done. cool on a rack and serve from the pan.

Interesting, thanks for posting. DH can't stand pumpkin pie. I wonder if the top one would be similar?

it's interesting, I was surprised when I read that the persimmon pie was supposed to be similar to pumpkin... though I've never had anything of persimmon except for juice. maybe if you didn't use the cinnamon and instead used another flavoring that wouldn't lean towards a resemblance towards pumpkin pie and it's spices that would help. maybe doing a tiny taste-test before you put the spice in the final mix before putting in crust could help figure out what might be a good addition (or if it doesn't need anything else). I would think persimmons would be closer to cherries or blueberries or something like that, so maybe adding a little of these items or something like it would remove the pumpkin resemblance (or maybe minced up cranberries or juice...)

Oh everyone should try persimmons! The best ones are the ones which come from Israel called "Sharon Fruit" They are nothing like cherries or blueberries. One word of caution: anyone who is prone to severe allergic reactions to birch pollen or anyone who is plagued with food allergies might want to avoid persimmons. They might cause a reaction.

I have a friend in California with an aunt who has a persimmon tree in her back yard. I have no idea what type they are. They look like the astringent Hachiya type, but they are not astringent. They are sweet and perfect even when they are still crunchy. It's a mystery! :) In local grocery stores here in Michigan we get the non-astringent Fuyu perismmons. Yummy!

Beware the astringent persimmons! You will be sorry if you eat one. :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back