Favorite Dendrobiums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcb

Reaction score
I grow a variety of Dendrobium species, but these two are my favorites, mostly because of the fragrance.

Dendrobium ruckeri, when the sun is shining, it has a strong honey scent, but when it is cloudy the scent changes to almost black pepper. It's a neat little thing.

And Dendrobium moniliforme. I have I think 12 different hv of moniliforme, but my favorite one is just a regular ole one. It blooms it's heart out every year, and the scent is just lovely, very rose like.

How "little" is ruckeri? That's one I'm not familiar with.

Please give some growing tips for moniliforme.

The ruckeri flower is maybe an inch and a half ns, canes are pretty thin. But it is a messy grower as the canes branch freely. My longest cane is about 18 inches.

moniliforme, I give them typical Cattleya care. The potted ones set on the Cattleya benches. So bright light year round, water when dry. In winter, less watering, although they are not put in the complete dry area. Temps they experience are from just above freezing, winter nights, to high 90s in the summer. Basically just a very tolerant plant.

I don't think they need the cold winter nights though, I have a friend who brings them inside for the winter, and they bloom and grow for her as well.

Latest posts

Back