faulty tagged venustum album?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomBEE

Reaction score
bought it this year with a bud. it just opened but......

Attachments

• DSC05358.JPG
    DSC05358.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 75
I like it, not being a big fan of album flowers. a couple of times i've gotten album plants by mistake, one time the vendor probably didn't even know they had them because they weren't listed in their catalogue. I know it's frustrating, but it doesn't seem to be that uncommon.
Don

Notice that there is no anthocyanin pigmentation on the bottom of the leaves. This is typical of venustum 'album' whereas a normal venustum is heavily pigmented. I believe the album gene is recessive, so breeding two albums from seed will not always result in a album progeny (Botanists, please correct me if I'm wrong). I have had this same thing happen to me, also with a venustum.

Notice that there is no anthocyanin pigmentation on the bottom of the leaves. This is typical of venustum 'album' whereas a normal venustum is heavily pigmented. I believe the album gene is recessive, so breeding two albums from seed will not always result in a album progeny (Botanists, please correct me if I'm wrong). I have had this same thing happen to me, also with a venustum.
I think you make a very good point. I'm not a Botonist either though.
Don

thank you all for comments, question and answers. the parents were not labelled. as some pointed out, the leaves look very like album but the flower do not. hope this one will not be curled back when fully opened as I already got such one.

I believe it would definitely benefit from having its roots covered up top and moist.

I have a handful of OZ venustum seedlings that have “alba” parentage that are clearly not “alba.” Still nice flowers though. Yours looks like it may be close to the same breeding.

tyler

Attachments

• F503A557-D2B5-4CD3-A5EB-BCD8EB44E7CA.jpeg
    F503A557-D2B5-4CD3-A5EB-BCD8EB44E7CA.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 8EA78F7A-EC01-4D43-A024-971D6930CF00.jpeg
    8EA78F7A-EC01-4D43-A024-971D6930CF00.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 13
Thanks all again for viewing and warm comments! Absolutely agree that the roots showed up high, and I would repot it after the flower is off. Attached is a photo when it just fully opened last week. However, it starts to curl back this week and I have no mood to take photo of it again......

Attachments

• DSC06048.JPG
    DSC06048.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 13
From a botanist....
1. Crossing an album with a non album almost always produces coloured progeny. The gene that causes the album is compensated for by the non album version. You can get some quantitative effects as well where the progeny are paler than usual.
2. Crossing an album with another album can produce coloured or album progeny. It depends on whether the two albums have a mutation in the same gene that causes albums or in different ones. If they are the same then the progeny will be album as there is no normal form of the gene present to compensate for the mutated album form.
If they are two different gene mutations then each album has a normal gene to compensate for the album one where the mutation occurs so all the progeny will be normal.
Hope this helps.
Tyler’s venustum’s are a cross between an alba and what appears to be a normal clone (‘wide body’) so its very likely that all progeny would be coloured.
David

Thx David for the information! The lesson teaches me that if I only aim to get a "real album" with an album look, I've better buy when it has an opened flower but not only a bud ......

Thx David for the information! The lesson teaches me that if I only aim to get a "real album" with an album look, I've better buy when it has an opened flower but not only a bud ......
You can usually tell by examining the plant, even if not in bud. A true alba will not have dark pigment at the base of the leaves. Or any dark pigment, really. The plants are a much different color. This trick works when looking for vinicolors as well, when you see a lot of pigment at the leaf base, the flowers are almost always very darkly colored as well! Neat.

Thank you for your tip, little frog. Before buying this, I carefully checked that there were no trace of dark pigment on both sides of leaves, the flower bud and its stem. The whole plant is pale green. That's why I was astonished by the outcome of non album looks.

Talking back the curl back issue, attached is updated photo this week. The petals only curled back slightly which to me is a bit fortunate.

Attachments

• DSC07232.JPG
    DSC07232.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back