Far East Sister Cyps (mini-book)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for answer, these plants grow really nice in warm climate. I remember you said some hybrid can not live long time in your garden(or your neighbor's? lol) You grow them by this way? Because I just want to try hybrids because heard easier~

Just be careful about the parents used. I've only grown Gisela (parviflorum v. parviflorum x macranthos) and Philipp (kentuckinese x macranthos) for more than 3 years and am trying new ones this season. Gisela has grown for me, but poorly because of the parviflorum parent I think. Philipp has done well though, I think because of kentuckiense and its heat tolerance.

The best choices (I'm guessing) would be hybrids where one parent at least is heat tolerant. Following that logic, hybrids with the following parents might do well in a hot place:

japonicum and formosanum (very limited availability, as in almost none!)
kentuckiense (best bet in my opinion)
henryi (seems a good choice, but untested by me so far)
fasciolatum (again, maybe a good choice)
pubescens (ditto)

This year I'm trialing out Michael, Sabine, Victoria, Lothar Pinkepank, and Aki. I'd love to try Sunny, Lucy Pinkepank, Uta, Ulli, and of course Tom Velardi!!!

A friend of me lives in Zone 3 in Us.
But with very hot summers, he told me that Acaule is doing well
in his region and grows naturally, they grow best for me in pots, and they are mostly higher in root temp than growing in the ground.
Could be interesting to try too.
Tom Velardi sound good, never seen one in the market,

Tom you never tryed it with pubescens.

Did you tryed it with rebunense, because I get told a lot of guys in Japan grow it.

A friend of me lives in Zone 3 in Us.
But with very hot summers, he told me that Acaule is doing well
in his region and grows naturally, they grow best for me in pots, and they are mostly higher in root temp than growing in the ground.
Could be interesting to try too.
Tom Velardi sound good, never seen one in the market,

Tom you never tryed it with pubescens.

Did you tryed it with rebunense, because I get told a lot of guys in Japan grow it.

To answer your questions one at a time:

- many places in the far north (Siberia for instance) can get very hot during the day, but this usually is for a very short time and importantly night temperatures are cool. Here the average temperature stays above 25 C for at least 3 months which means highs above 30 C and lows not below 26 during the hottest period (mid July-mid September). Cyps don't like that.

- tried acaule once and the soil fungi here ate them alive. I could try again in a pot, but they're pretty pricey here.

- Tom Velardi was just registered last year by Ron Burch, so I imagine he won't have any in production for some time.

- I grow parviflorum v. pubescens and though it doesn't increase in the number of growths, it flowers every year. I also have parviflorum v. parviflorum grown from deflasked seedings. Two persist but haven't reached flowering size for 5 years now. Too darn hot!

- macranthos v. rebunense is a no go here in the hot south. You can get it, though not for cheap. I grew macranthos abla for three years and it just languished here so I gave it away.

I am pushing the limit here with most Cyps and well beyond in truth.

Thanks for that infomations Tom.

Someone told me rebunense is availabel in Japan, so I was wondering.

This year we have seen a lot of yatebeanum in the market from Japan.

But the flower in my one was dead when it showed up.

Acaule need low Ph anything else is not important. And not to wet in winter.

have the pots in a shade during the winter and it works, they really hardy freeze but not too much water.

It workesd for years outside with a pot, but this year often melting the now and then the noses in this pot dyed, but the roots looks good and the plants will recover.

Hello Tom and Dido, Thank you for communication experience in this forum, these informations are very important for me and other hobbyist--- Cypripedium is exotica for warm or subtropical city people, You job improve these highland plants go to strange garden. Maybe one day, we could grow banana and Cypripedium together.

Nice to enjoy your garden picture, these Bamboo grow very well, how cold in winter? and how to control the rhizomes? I remember their root run fast..... maybe harm to other plants, especially those slipper orchid. Thick stem...en, maybe you could cut some Bamboo new nose in early spring, delicious~

Latest posts

Back