fantasy plant......

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio-guy

Reaction score
Is there a resource that tells some relative sizes and ease of growth/ bloom production of some of the hybrid phrags? I am still learning what is what , and due to my growing conditions would like to find compact easy to bloom plants that will grow and flower under lights/window sill.
I guess my fantasy plant would be bright colored with long lasting blooms, on a plant less than 10 inches tall, with some of the long petals like china dragon......
I know some of the experienced growers are probably groaning that it sounds like a big box pot plant, but we all like what we like, huh?:wink:
How big does Jason fischer get? has it been crossed to something with longer petals on a compact plant?

I dont know about a site that tells what you want. I can only speak from what I've heard and seen. Most Phrags pearciei, schlimii, and besseae seem to be small blooming so crosses w/ those would be small. I [unfortunately] now posess one of the biggest Phrag Hanne Popow [schlimii x besseae] that I've ever seen. So, while it's multi-blooming and consecutive blooming it's HUGE! I've seen small Phrag Mary Bess and others. You should check Phragweb for pictures. Good luck.

Heather said:
Last I heard only the Canadians had Firestorm.

Yeah, but they probably have RFID chips in them like their currency, silly people, James Bond was British not Canadian :poke:

I have a phrag Ecua-Bess and it is really small! it also has the look of long petals. Anything crossed with pearcei and similar species will have a compact size.

Its not always easy to predict...generally, pearcei/caricinum/"equadorense" (really pearcei) crosses will stay small.....longifolium will be large.....lindleyanum/sargentianum (I fully agree that they are one and the same) crosses may or not be large, caudatum/wallisii/ warczyouknowwhat (I'm staying away from the taxonomy on those) also may or may not be large, but i have had some crosses of those that have remained very compact. As for besseae and schlimii, it depends on the other parent. My largest phrag is a Sorceror's Apprentice...my second largest is a Sgt. Eric...and a Court Jester x (faded label)...Schroderae and Belle Hogue Pointe are also large....but many crosses I'd expect to be large are not...Paul Eugene Conroy, my never flowering Grande is multigrowth and wide, but no growths are especially large, and I've had it 10 years...i have a Conchiferum x Giganteum that is nowhere near gigantic...in fact, its one of my smaller phrag hybrids....go figure. Take care, Eric

Back