Fanaticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
A fun primary hybrid between malipoense and micranthum.
Second time blooming since last September.

I have a couple of other Fanaticum in bud/sheath. So, I'm going to enjoy some more of this cross in the coming weeks and months.

oXBwP7Ul.jpg

K2gIDD0l.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing! You do so well with these parvis. I am always amazed by your paphs!
Thanks! The very first bud on this plant blasted on me after sitting there for many months. So this is technically its third bloom, but since I never saw the very first flower that never happened, I count this one as second.
It has a new growth well on its way next to the currently blooming fan, so I hope this continues to grow & bloom well for me, and hopefully start to clump up into a nice ball. :)

Love these. Still waiting for my 3 to bloom. Any tips? How long do spikes take to develop?
Aren't they from like May? How tall are they now? I have no tips. They'll do what they do. haha
Some takes longer than others. This particular one didn't take that long last year. This year, it wasn't too painful, either.
The sheath emerged in August. Then, I saw the spike a few weeks later. From then on, it grew steadily.
My other one is taking longer. It spiked around the same time, but much slower. The spike on that plant is now about 9inch tall with the bud visible. It is about the largest plant of Fanaticum I've ever seen, so the flower better be nice. Or else...haha

Other other Fanaticum that bloomed last year and this year, they took even shorter. They spiked around July/August, then open bloom around October. Parivs in general, with the easy exception of delenatii, I think once the sheath/spike begin to rise, then, all is well. When they sit around forever, I now realize that something is not right and they would just eventually abort.
This happened with one Emma Decker and Fumi's Delight this year already. So much for the waiting.
I now have more Fumi's Delight and Barbara Larkin in sheath. really hope that they will make it this time. These plants all have a bud blasting record. arg!!!!

Nice bloom, the markings really stand out. My Fanaticum blooms each year in June so is busy developing new growth now. Like you say, they'll do what they do.

My
A fun primary hybrid between malipoense and micranthum.
Second time blooming since last September.

I have a couple of other Fanaticum in bud/sheath. So, I'm going to enjoy some more of this cross in the coming weeks and months.

oXBwP7Ul.jpg

K2gIDD0l.jpg
Fanaticum from last year. I have 2 short spikes growing now._DSC8430 Paph. Fanaticum 01.jpg_DSC8430 Paph. Fanaticum 01.jpg

Love these. Still waiting for my 3 to bloom. Any tips? How long do spikes take to develop?
I think it's highly variable. One of mine bloomed earlier this year and took 8 months from when I first knew for sure that it was a spike forming and not a leaf. I have another one that is in spike now (in picture). It has developed that spike over the past couple months.

Attachments

• Fanaticum2(29dec2020)-b.jpg
    Fanaticum2(29dec2020)-b.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 11
I think it's highly variable. One of mine bloomed earlier this year and took 8 months from when I first knew for sure that it was a spike forming and not a leaf. I have another one that is in spike now (in picture). It has developed that spike over the past couple months.
I will show mine your pic lol. They are still 'resting!

I see that you have one from Windy Hill Gardens breeding. I bought a few seedlings from that batch in 2016. A couple of them bloomed for the first time last year. One of those bloomed again this year. I have two more seedlings that are ready to spike any time now. Interestingly, yours have that undulating leaf edge from malipoense. All of mine have straight even leaves. Would love to see how that one would look in bloom.

I see that you have one from Windy Hill Gardens breeding. I bought a few seedlings from that batch in 2016. A couple of them bloomed for the first time last year. One of those bloomed again this year. I have two more seedlings that are ready to spike any time now. Interestingly, yours have that undulating leaf edge from malipoense. All of mine have straight even leaves. Would love to see how that one would look in bloom.
Yes. I have three or four from that class. The one in spike will be the second to bloom. The first one that bloomed (in this pic) had a very short stem and not much color but a very big bloom. Not as colorful as others I have seen. The Here is a picture of it. The bloom opened up a little more after the picture was taken. This was first time it bloomed.

Attachments

• Fanaticum(10jul2020)-1b.jpg
    Fanaticum(10jul2020)-1b.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 15
Yes. I have three or four from that class. The one in spike will be the second to bloom. The first one that bloomed (in this pic) had a very short stem and not much color but a very big bloom. Not as colorful as others I have seen. The Here is a picture of it. The bloom opened up a little more after the picture was taken. This was first time it bloomed.
Wow~ very micranthum with a big fat round flower!! It just needs to open up some more on the next bloom and it will be so cool!!
I like how dark the lower half of the staminode. I really like this malipoense feature of black lower end of the staminode. Something none of my Fanaticum have.
I have one in high bud (not from Windy Hill breeding) and looking forward to what the flower will be like.

These don't get darker. They always seem to open up the darkest they can be and the color only fades over time. The only thing I've ever seen where the color darkens are the armeniacum hybrids. They either open up intense yellow and stays that way, or opens up with some green hue and then the intense yellow overcomes that green hues over the course of a few days or a couple of weeks. Just my observation.
Micranthum and delenatii are the same. They open up and then the color only fades with time. I haven't noticed any changes with malipoense. They seem to behave like armeniacum. They open up green and stay green, whatever shade of green they might be.

Latest posts

Back