Family of Appletonianums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslie, the vanguard of the family looks really pretty and has camouflaged himself with a lot of colour. If the rest of the family turns out the same way...they will look great. 👍

Definitely like the color, petal width and stance….

May I ask what caused you to decide those appletonianums from that vendor were a good gamble?

Definitely like the color, petal width and stance….

May I ask what caused you to decide those appletonianums from that vendor were a good gamble?

What makes buying plants 'this vendor' a 'gamble'?

All of our spikes are short this fall. It's a combination of unseasonably hot weather (117 F in September!) and the fact that we didn't get the greenhouse whitewashed this year. The extra bright light compounds the heat accumulation. When it's warm the buds open so fast that the stems can't keep up. All the early complex have really short stems.

Now that it's finally cooled off we are appreciating the extra light.

Dave

What makes buying plants 'this vendor' a 'gamble'?

All of our spikes are short this fall. It's a combination of unseasonably hot weather (117 F in September!) and the fact that we didn't get the greenhouse whitewashed this year. The extra bright light compounds the heat accumulation. When it's warm the buds open so fast that the stems can't keep up. All the early complex have really short stems.

Now that it's finally cooled off we are appreciating the extra light.

Dave
DOH!!!

VERY sorry about any negative connotations. Experience says trying to explain will just make things worse…. But since I’m generally not a very bright person, I’ll attempt anyway.

That comment of mine didn’t communicate very well. :).

I think we’ll all agree that buying orchid seedlings is a crap shoot (note the reference to gambling having nothing to do with anything other than generic lottery).

So when we decide to buy something, those of us that over think things start considering dimensions to help the odds work out in our favor.

Is the cross one others have flowered? Lots of them? Results to date?

Did the vendor bring them in from another breeder, or make the cross themselves? If brought in, we’re the acquired from a source that has known line breeding program for the species?

These were the kinds of things I was wondering about? And typically Dr Leslie ;-) is a thoughtful acquirer of his plants.

So I was looking for the inside scoop….

Did Dave embark on an appletonianum line breeding program akin to his work around liemeanum?

Hopefully that didn’t make things worse….

And again sorry about any inadvertent negative connotations. And more to the point, I’ve purchased MANY plants from Dave at Paph Paradise, and always been happy with the plants and results.

DOH!!!

VERY sorry about any negative connotations. Experience says trying to explain will just make things worse…. But since I’m generally not a very bright person, I’ll attempt anyway.

I think we’ll all agree that buying orchid seedlings is a crap shoot (note the reference to gambling having nothing to do with anything other than generic lottery).

So when we decide to buy something, those of us that over think things start considering dimensions to help the odds work out in our favor.

Did the vendor bring them in from another breeder, or make the cross themselves? If brought in, we’re the acquired from a source that has known line breeding program for the species?

These were the kinds of things I was wondering about? And typically Dr Leslie ;-) is a thoughtful acquirer of his plants.

Did Dave embark on an appletonianum line breeding program akin to his work around liemeanum?

And again sorry about any inadvertent negative connotations. And more to the point, I’ve purchased MANY plants from Dave at Paph Paradise, and always been happy with the plants and results.
Usually I acquire very select plants but sometimes I just like a species so much that I want to bloom them out for fun. And when I’m on a buying spree in a reputable GH like PP, I may just go crazy lol. There’s a lot of red tag plants there I can’t buy 😂.

Usually I acquire very select plants but sometimes I just like a species so much that I want to bloom them out for fun. And when I’m on a buying spree in a reputable GH like PP, I may just go crazy lol. There’s a lot of red tag plants there I can’t buy 😂.
And of course the website shows no more stock….

I’ve been chasing a nice one of these….

:)

DOH!!!

LOL...I read it a few times and it just seemed awkwardly worded, but I had to ask. I know Leslie usually buys selects in bloom.

These ones originated in Europe. I dumped our old line that came from Hawaii as they looked suspicious. Staminodes were a little inconsistent and we want our species to be true to the name.

These ones are being sold as Paph hainanense on our site as that was what they were called in Europe. The foliage is slightly different from appletonianum, but as of the moment they are considered synonyms.

Dave

LOL...I read it a few times and it just seemed awkwardly worded, but I had to ask. I know Leslie usually buys selects in bloom.

These ones originated in Europe. I dumped our old line that came from Hawaii as they looked suspicious. Staminodes were a little inconsistent and we want our species to be true to the name.

These ones are being sold as Paph hainanense on our site as that was what they were called in Europe. The foliage is slightly different from appletonianum, but as of the moment they are considered synonyms.

Dave
Thanx. I was wondering about that…. Had braem and cribs out to go try and figure out the difference. At least the perceived difference…. Either way. Got me on your site with some plants in a cart! :).

Hope to see you in January.

P. appletonianum var. hainanense was, actually, the first thought that lept to mind, when I saw Leslie's wonderful flowers.
As might be commonly known, P. appletonianum has a very wide geographical range - from Thailand to the South China Sea.
The variety or form from Hainan (I'm not aware of, whether what exactly is meant, is the Island of Hainan alone, or the province, consisting of various islands in the South China Sea?), is renowned for its colouring, that is stronger and more intense than what is seen in the typical form. Whether this and its slight difference in vegetal features is sufficient for it to acquire varietal status can be seen as debatable,. It's habitat, though, is clearly distinct geographically from the rest of the species.
A Cambodian variety or form of appletonianum, sometimes described as P. appletonianum or wolterianum var. schmidtianum, by the way, has similar striking, strong colours (P. wolterianum is sunk into synonymity with appletonianum by Kew).

Thanx Jens that saved me some investigation (that i'll likely go do anyway later, but i can now just go back to repotting instead of reading ;-) )

You'll be entertained to know i just acquired flasks of hainanense and wolterianum fma. 'album' from Sam Tsui.. wonderful taxonomic word salad... :) but the plants i suspect will be fun...

Back