Experiments with alternative substrates

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernd_S

Bernd
Reaction score
Since about March of this year I will try to armmeniacum and fairieanum alternative substrates, since I can get the plants though, they never grow really well :-(

Here some pictures how it looks at the moment.
The armeniacum in Kanuma has entered me. The substrate in Ophrys grow well. The plant (below) had blossomed in April. She now has two new shoots.
The fairieanum make in Kanuma also good. The rounder with the bright old leaves had these already partially so, when I had brought them out from ancient Subtrat (Bloom 2012). Had very bad roots!
The very large fairieanum is, according to the (well-known German) dealer from Munich last orchid market supposedly secure a fairieanum!
There would be that with so long leaves!
Now, at one point the Kanuma is already raised by many new roots. In the heart of the plant itself shows a bud.
'm Curious what it is. From the appearance of vigor and I have serious doubts about the statement of the dealer. Perhaps a hybrid?

Greetings

Bernd

chy737p7tjh2fkd4s.jpg

chy73wzbfv8zkdqbg.jpg

Very interesting subject which shows us that Paphiopedilums can grow very well in an inert substrate. What is the feed regime adopted for these plants?

No fertilizer. The Subtrat and my rain water have obvious enough. Only at the Kanuma I pour 1 x month (lime) tap water, so it does not sour wird.Sonst only rainwater.

Hakone seemingly made the Kanuma move last year... to be continued (I think that was a mistake). See this thread.
I wonder how many times the renowned grower he's referring to has switched substrate in the past few months...

I tried Kanuma on a few plants on a 1-year period, and I won't renew the experience. At first all put out new roots, but all roots eventually rot. Plants are still alive though.
Now I'm using 4:1:1 orchiata/perlite/charcoal + k-lite and I'm pleased with it.

For me the same, only micranhtum like it for long time.
I am still adding it to my mixes but not pure anymore.

armeniacums dont grow to long in them the same with them and spagh.
A mix with bark and kanuma is great for amrneiacum if you add other things too. As it looks on your pics no pure kanuma.

Latest posts

Back