• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Exotic plant company?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw that the exotic plant company is selling sanderianum. Has anyone ordered from them and had good luck: stumbled on their site and never heard about them. They are in the Netherlands I believe and do they ship to the USA? Thanks and happy growing!!!

Hi Theodore,

I have ordered multiple times from Exotic Plant Company and always received very good quality plants. They do have a nice broad range of Paphiopedilums. I purchased one of the sanderianum seedling last year and it is good quality, probably a few years from flowering for me, but growing very well. They are indeed located in The Netherlands, Europe.

I personally belief that shipping a single plant in/out of the European Union is not going to be very realistic. There will be a lot of expensive administration to be done by both seller and buyer. I have never done it myself, but I belief it involves buyer obtaining an Import CITES permit, seller obtaining an Export CITES permit, seller obtaining a Phytosanitary certificate, you have to consider more than average shipping cost, potential brokerage charges, customs import taxes. Maybe my list is not even complete... All this could add hundreds of euros to your purchase. Even if all the administration goes well, you still have the risk that the shipping of a single plant across the globe goes 'less than perfect' and you might risk damages or delays. This is why I have never considered it myself. Maybe others have different experiences.

Hope this helps

I've bought some very nice plants from them - and at very fair prices!. I can only highly recommend them!

You should be aware, though, that Mr. Tibbs, who runs the company, is a busy man and traveling a lot (among other things he is very involved in an orchid conservation project in Rwanda, that provides a lot of job opportunities for the local Rwandians). This can result in some delay from ordering to shipping. To me, though, this is of no concern, and I'm going to place my next order over the summer (among other things a replacement for the WBW, that I grew for a couple of years and succeeded in killing off, just as it showed its first bud! 😭).

I got in contact and he said that their is no way to ship to the USA because the nursery he ships to closed. Here is the email!!!
"
Thanks for your message but currently we have no agent in the USA since high Dessert Orchids closed earlier this year
If you have your own import permit I can assist you

Regards

Michael"

Does anyone know what the import permit that is needed and how to get one? Is it the APHIS green/yellow label? I'm able to get this, but curious if it is something else. Never ordered from EU before.

Latest posts

Back