• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Europe only: 50 Orchids!, one parcel!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear friends!
I know John Boys collection and all I can say - each and every plant is worth at least 10 times as much! That's why I just raised the bid to a 250€ level in the german forum. I am not going to let this pass by without me trying my best :)

John Boy, you know you can't have a quick look at this particular forum if not logged in, do you!:poke::D
I would bid if the shipping was not so expensive over here. And you are right; for 4€ a plant you well can get a few noids, too. It happens even if you buy plants from well known vendors, at a much higher price!!!:rollhappy:
Hope you get a good bid.

Johnboy I discussed your offering with an orchidfriend whose more into Cattleya's. Unfortunately he's not interested and I don't have the time available right now to sell of the individual plants that I wouldn't need / want.

I still think it's a good offering though. I hope that some more bidders will bite.

Not to worry Marc!

I'd have hoped we'd have more fun doing this...

Current high-bid is €250, which is a joke, when I look at the plants I need to pass on! (and I'm not just saying that).

John, the problem is exactly that. You're the only personn to know the list you're selling...

And more, not many personns have space (and money!!!) to receive 50 orchids more in their greenhouse.

Clearly, it would be better for you if you sold each plant. But of course, lot of work and time.

which is why... I can't do with more work, or less time right now. Chicken and Egg, as they say. It'll all be good.

I understand.

So, if you have no choice, prepare yourself psychologically to sell a lot less than their true value.

It's funny, - well, not funny, - but all those reluctant to buy orchids - well grown and healthy - at 4 or 5 € each , wouldn't hesitate a moment if it was a grabtable at a show. About 40 species, and ten hybrids, so the noid would be mostly the hybrids as yo can name the species...¿where is the problem?
Oh, I would bid, if it was not that I live on Gran Canaria and the import of orchids the islands is very costly, shipment and customs.
So, give yourselves a go!! When was it last time you got a good plant for 5€!!!

but all those reluctant to buy orchids - well grown and healthy - at 4 or 5 € each , wouldn't hesitate a moment if it was a grabtable at a show.
That's quite a hasty conclusion.

I grow indoors (you know in a flat: no space, low humidity etc). Will I buy ten 1€ masdevallia or cattleya (knowing they'll die) just because they're cheap? Sorry, that's not sensible to say the least.

....reluctant to buy orchids - well grown and healthy - at 4 or 5 € each , wouldn't hesitate a moment if it was a grabtable at a show. About 40 species, and ten hybrids, so the noid would be mostly the hybrids as yo can name the species...¿where is the problem?
The problem is one doesn't really know what they are getting without a list. Time as been a factor mentioned, as we understand, but John as time to check in here & update us but has no time to post a list? A list might very well up the bids .....

reivilos,
would you than buy an expensive Cattleya with its name knowing it will die? If you can't grow them at your place, you wouldn't buy them with or without name, so why complain?
A bid is a bid is a bid is a game...
Good luck!

goldenrose,
as I have no vendor here, I never know what I get. I must trust the catalogues and you know what, about 10% of the named plants are something else! If you are lucky to have a vendor near by or an orchid expo and...and...and... you can choose what you want, have a look at it, compare, and decide to carry the best with you. I believe a lot of us are not as lucky!:)

Lucky Europeans!

As John has said before, you can get a really good idea of what is in his collection by going to the thread with all the pictures. I think it was called "2 year project" or something like that in the collection section.

Haha, I am quite sure the only lucky european will be me. :) I just raised the bid to 380,-€! I don't want to miss on that one.
Surprisingly people here don't see a bargain even if it sits right on top of their nose! I can always sell the plants that will not fit my accomodations, right? :poke:
No reason to hesitate - at least not for me! :drool:

Surprisingly people here don't see a bargain even if it sits right on top of their nose! I can always sell the plants that will not fit my accomodations, right? :poke:
No reason to hesitate - at least not for me! :drool:
No we see them, we're trying to avoid drawing attention to ourselves, BTW, if the canhii is in the package you have a place to stay when you bring it to NYC! :D

An auction being held over two forums without continuous updating on both makes bidding very difficult. John, as much as I would love to bid on your plants, having to jump from one to the other to check on the current state is disconcerting and leaves to much room for error and arguments at the end of the day.

FYI - we're going to let this auction close out but in the future, we would like to refrain from anything but regular buying, selling, and trading, with the exception of our annual fundraising auction. This has been a consensus among the admin/moderator team.

There are plenty of auction sites out there and this is really not meant to be one of them. If you have questions or concerns, please contact us via PM, not in this thread so it doesn't get derailed. Thanks for your cooperation!

Latest posts

Back