Erythrone gardens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I didn't realize your zone is so low. Inspiring for me, for sure, as ours is Zone 3...

How old is your Cyp. Phillip? What sort of soil is it growing in? Do you do any amendments to the soil for your cyps?

Beautiful photos of your garden as usual. Love the peonies, especially that red Alexander Woollcott. Scrumptious! :drool:

Actually we are in a 4a canadian zone and a USDA 3 zone.

I bought the Cyp. Phillip in 2010. It was a blooming size plant from Fraser's Thimble Farms. The plant is grown in a ....acidic loam with a lot of compost. There is a mulch of dead leaves on top of the soil. So, there is nothing special in the soil. I bought 3 other Cyps the same years and they are near Philipp. Every plant are vigourous and bloomed this year (Aki Light, Aki Paster, Michael). I didn't want to grow them in special mix like a lot of growers do.

Heucherella Chocolate Lace
HeucherellaChocolateLace_web.jpg

Heuchera Monet
HeucheraMonet_web-1.jpg

Hcuchera Snow Angel
HeucheraMonet2_web.jpg

Heuchera Blackout
HeucheraBlackout_web.jpg

Heuchera Chocolate Ruffles
HeucheraChocolateRufflesfleursweb.jpg

Heuchera Dolce Blackcurrent
HeucheraDolceBlackcurrent_web.jpg

Paeonia Fancy Nancy
PaeoniaFancyNancyweb.jpg

Salvia Madeline
salviaMadeline_web.jpg

Paeonia Myrtle Thischer
PaeoniaMyrtleThischer_web-1.jpg

Dactylorhiza maculata
Dactylorhizamaculatagropplanweb.jpg

Again, lovely, lovely, lovely!

Do you find your heucheras to be pretty hardy? I seem to have mixed luck with them; some last much longer than others, some seem to be very tender.

Thank you Joanne!

About the heucheras: unfortunatly they are not all very easy to grow here. I grow 160 cultivars. Last winter was very tough for many of them, althought I only lost a few plants. The most vigourous are the very dark ones (Velvet Night, Guardian Angel, Dolce Black Current, Cathedral Window, Obsidian, etc.). I lost many reddish ones, like Peach Flambe, Autumn Leaves and Ginger Peach. I still have a vigourous Peach Flambe.

About the fall tones, Caramel, Big Top GoldKassandra and Dolce Creme Brulee were a mess this year... Southern Confort seems to be the hardiest. Midas Touch could be very good too. Marmelade was badly damaged by winter but is now recovering.

Fore variegation, Monet and Snow Angel are very good but I get them only 2 years ago. I tried Hercules many times but it was always a disaster!

Plum Pudding seems to be another very good one for cold climate. Did you try this one?

Well... I don't know. I think there is a natural balance here. I live in nature and I work with nature... The only pesticide I used this year was an eco friendly slugs baits.

Of course there are diseases the garden. I have a John Cabot Rose that is awfull. There was botrytis on some peony buds, etc.

I had many lilies a few years ago but I had problem with the red beetle... (we call it criocère in French... How do you call it?). It was a mess. I now grow only a few lilies but I didn't see that pest this year. And there are no Japanese beetles in our region... Not yet.

Iris sibirica Super Ego
IrissibiricaSuperEgo_web-1.jpg

Paeonia Lotus Queen
PaeoniaLotusQueen_web.jpg

Hosta Stiptease, Aruncus dioicus
AruncusdioicusHostaStriptease_web.jpg

Paeonia Etched Salmon
PaeoniaEtchedSalmon_web-1.jpg

Paeonia Bowl of Beauty (not a typical flower)
fleur anormale)
Paeoniabowlofbeautyanormale_web.jpg

Paeonia Snow Swan
PaeoniaSnowSwan_zeb.jpg

Paeonia White Cap
PaeoniaWhiteCap_eweb_modifi-1.jpg

Phyteuma scheuchzeri
Phyteumascheuchzeri_web.jpg

Paeonia Raspberry Charm
PaeoniaRaspberryCharm1_wb.jpg

PaeoniaetPapaver_web.jpg

Galega
Galega_web.jpg

Nectaroscordum bulgaricum
Nectaroscordumbulgaricum_web.jpg

Papaver orientale
Papaverorientale_web.jpg

Papaverorientale_2_web.jpg

Well... I don't know. I think there is a natural balance here. I live in nature and I work with nature... The only pesticide I used this year was an eco friendly slugs baits.

Of course there are diseases the garden. I have a John Cabot Rose that is awfull. There was botrytis on some peony buds, etc.

I had many lilies a few years ago but I had problem with the red beetle... (we call it criocère in French... How do you call it?). It was a mess. I now grow only a few lilies but I didn't see that pest this year. And there are no Japanese beetles in our region... Not yet.
I don't know about the red beetle, but I hope you never have Japanese Beetles. They are voracious and decimate any plants they like, which are ones in the sun. They love hot weather and sunshine, so you can imagine what it is like around here right now!

The Red Lily Beetle, also known as lilioceris lilii, scarlet lily beetle and lily leaf beetle.

They have been moving steadily West in Canada and showed up in Calgary in 2009. I haven't seen them in my garden (yet), but gardening buddies of mine have. Many of them have just completely stopped growing lilies because the beetles just devour them. They also like Fritillaria...

The Red Lily Beetle, also known as lilioceris lilii, scarlet lily beetle and lily leaf beetle.

They have been moving steadily West in Canada and showed up in Calgary in 2009. I haven't seen them in my garden (yet), but gardening buddies of mine have. Many of them have just completely stopped growing lilies because the beetles just devour them. They also like Fritillaria...

Thank you Joanne! Red lily beetle! It was so easy to remember...

Yes, they love Fritillaria too but they don't seem to be able to destroy them here... and unfortunately they like Cardiocrinum.

they were first discovered not far from here in Brookline, Massachusetts
i think the larvae make themselves unpalatable by covering themselves in their own feces

You are right, likespaphs... the larvae look unpalatable... They look like burd drops!

A few more pics:

Baptisia Purple Smoke
BaptisiaPurpleSmoke_web.jpg

BaptisiaPurpleSmoke2_web.jpg

Paeonia Lavender
capsulespaeonialavender_web.jpg

Heuchera Florists Choice
HeucheraFloristsChoice_web.jpg

Paeonia Hillary
PeaoniaHillary1_web.jpg

PaeoniaDancing Butterflies
PaeoniaDancingButterflies_web-1.jpg

Paeonia Fancy Nancy
PaeoniaFancyNancy1_web.jpg

Paeonia Julia Rose
PaeoniaJuliarose2_web.jpg

Gentiana lutea
Gentianalutea_web.jpg

Paeonia Neon
PaeoniaNeon_web.jpg

Iris River Hawk
IrisRiverHawk_web.jpg

Clematis integrifolia
Clematisintegrifolia_web.jpg

Paeonia White Cap
PaeoniaWhiteCap2_web.jpg

PaeoniaWhiteCap1_web.jpg

Rosa pimpinellifolia Double White Blanc Burnet
RosapimpinellifoliaDoubleWhiteBlancBurnet_web.jpg

Hosta Guardian Angel, H. Summer Breeze, H. Salute
HostaGuardianAngelSaluteSummerBreeze_web.jpg

Hosta Guardian Angel, H. Summer Breeze
HostaGuardianAngelSummerBreeze_web.jpg

Paeonia Snow Swan
PaeoniaSnowSwan2web.jpg

Hosta Blue Wedgewood
HostaBlueWedgewood_web.jpg

Papaver orientale Pattie’s Plum
PapaverorientalePattiesPlum_web.jpg

Arisaema consanguineum
Arisaemaconsanguineum_web-1.jpg

Lonicera Mandarin
LonicaraMandarin_web.jpg

Paeonia Raggedy Ann
PaeoniaRaggedyAnn_web.jpg

your paeonie Raggedy ann is special,
nice pics again.
Do you make seed of some of your paeonie.
I have soem seed on my rockii, maybe for exchange

your paeonie Raggedy ann is special,
nice pics again.
Do you make seed of some of your paeonie.
I have soem seed on my rockii, maybe for exchange

Hi Dido. Not really. I don't start plant from seeds anymore... I don't have the time nor the room for it anymore... I usually discard the old flowers. But I kept pods of Paeonia Lavender. They are too cute. Maybe you will like to get seeds of this plant??

Latest posts

Back