Eric goes to 19th WOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
HI!
I got back from the WOC last night and finished potting up my plants at 4:30 AM this morning.
First of all, let me say that I would recommend anyone within driving distance, [yes I would make the drive from NYC in light of the confirmation of the depressing news that there will be NO GNYOS show this year], should attend the 19th WOC. It is almost the equivalent to 2 GNYOS shows. Second of all, it was great to see and meet fellow GNYOS and Slippertalk members. Tadd [heretofore to be known as Thadeus], TutoPeru, Ramon, and others, it was great to see you. And I must give a word of appreciation to Mrs. Norton, for she has the patience of a saint. H.P. Norton reminds me of an older version of my mischevious self and he as usual provided me with memorable experiences and quotes.
Thirdly to the vendors, Although I truly appreciate your work and attendance, it was a little disappointing to have vendors from Asia come all this way and either not bring the hangianum, jackii, thaianum, etc plants and hybrids or to sell all the seedlings to one person! :(
I for one do not have the time or space to bring them up from flasks but hopefully someone from this forum will and will be able to provide them here.
Lastly, a word about our Government. I mde my travel arrangements in order to avoid paying costly high interest credit charges and to minimize my time off from my work. Apparently this and possible other factors resulted in my ticket obtaining a 'SSSS' Special Attention rating which caused me to be extra scrutinized both coming and going to and from Miami. On top of this annoyance, the TSA baggage personnel passed the live plants I carried through the X-Ray machine, resulting in the damage [to the spectacular Phrag Grouville flavum I got from Frank of Krull-Smith]shown in the last photo. My angry diatribe, which had reached the point of my turning away from the TSA supervisor and telling the wall behind me that I appreciated it's attention and understood that there was little it do to help the situation, ended only when the county law enforcement officer approached. Trust me there will be letters to the airline, the TSA and my government representatives about the incidents and my tax dollars being wasted.
Anyway, enjoy the photos.
P1230025.jpg

P1230036.jpg

P1230039.jpg

Frank from Krull-Smith
P1230031.jpg

Ramon rdlsreno [from Reno] get out of there!
P1230041.jpg

TutoPeru
P1230042.jpg

Something for you Neo people!
P1230045.jpg

P1230043.jpg

P1230047.jpg

And here I asked myself, "Should I open this to see what muffy has to say?". :poke: The only problem w/ my photography is that I'm a little hyper and my hands aren't steady! :D
PS. Did you animal people notice the live parrots and flamingos in the exterior display!?!

Thanks Eric, every bit of photo helps. Pity Nobody took a photo of South-Africas disas, we all want to see it down here. Why no show for GNYOS this year?

There literally isn't enough time in one day, so I missed photographing the disa display. The GNYOS had issues w/ venue and funding, etc. this year so...

Eric thanks for the photos and for showing us Ramon is actually an alien with antennae growing out his ears. Actually I see him almost every month and have always suspected his other worldly origins.

As for the x-ray machines...that sucks but it's really for all our safety. I've traveled with carry on plants before and they've always had to go through x-ray. I keep this in mind when purchasing and for this reason don't buy anything that I think would get damaged. Live and learn. Plus, you probably have very shifty eyes that signalled your terrorist activity. Can't blame them for wondering about you...Hey even I got felt up and frisked on a flight leaving Maui. Good times... It could have been worse and if you send in those nasty letters I bet they put you on the cavity search list.

No problem. Sorry about the show.I'll keep it in mind and invite you over here.
Actually, except for the hangianum and thaianum seedlings I missed, the show was quite worthwhile. I picked up each of the available Pk hybrids, some Paphs, lots of Pleuros, a couple of besseae.

Join Frank and come here. He's flying in in July as well as the hounarable buldog, and uncle Ernst Gunzenhauser and after the symposium were taking them to Kruger for a few days. Theyre staying with us but Im sure theres place for you as well.

A couple more photos

There were some vendors w/ a lot oc catasetums and bulbophylum.
P1230040.jpg

I remember reading in Rebecca Tyson Northen's book about the thrill of receiving a package from a collecting trip!
P1240049.jpg

Join Frank and come here. He's flying in in July as well as the hounarable buldog, and uncle Ernst Gunzenhauser and after the symposium were taking them to Kruger for a few days. Theyre staying with us but Im sure theres place for you as well.
:) Thanx, but the only reason I was able to get away is that the paintball season hasn't begun yet and none of the 3 teams I play for/manage has started competition for this year.

As always, even the most enjoyable activities are clouded by something. Flying has become a total hassle, not that we don’t all know why…glad they’re on it in a way. From the photos and reports I’ve been seeing here (and what little has trickled in via email so far from some busy people) it looks just spectacular. Cool that you got to go if only for a day.

So sorry to hear about your woes, hopefully the GOOD outweighs them!
Your photos are pretty good Eric!

Latest posts

Back