Eric goes to 19th WOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, except for the hangianum and thaianum seedlings I missed, the show was quite worthwhile. I picked up each of the available Pk hybrids, some Paphs, lots of Pleuros, a couple of besseae.

So many vendors from all over the world in one place, how do you manage to missbuying all the rare ones ?

You would love it, there are all kinds of Art, diff media, 3-D orchid mirrors, paintings, sculture, carvings, clothes, etc!!!

Since you mentioned the art, after hundreds of dollars and months of communications, I don't think my paintings made it in because of missing a form. I began corresponding with someone at the WOC in July of ’07 to make sure I was on the ball, and an acquaintance of mine (who is speaking there today) offered to take them for me, but the form in question (which was not mentioned to me in the last email with the WOC as of this month) was for a local art society that is running this section of the show. I’m used to just reserving space as an exhibitor and putting my little AOS tags on the backs like all the big kids do with their plants and having it all be fine. (Yes, I now realize this was different.) The lovely people at JGP were nice enough to send me everything I needed and answer all of my questions thoroughly, so luckily that won’t be a bust unless my usual “luck of the Irish” sets in. Seriously, I really do blame myself mainly in taking “you get to enter two pieces and do not need to reserve space ahead of time” too literally…entirely too simple to be reality. I was almost in tears yesterday after finding the form in question stuffed under “orchid-related contests” instead of exhibitor information. But, this is all a sinking suspicion unless someone can set me at ease—like you, Eric! If not, I’ll talk to the person who took the art with him after his talk this afternoon. I saw no need to upset him with it beforehand since he had big-time jitters when last we emailed. What’s done is done is far as my crap goes.

It’s “funny” too, I’d certainly have checked out the art, but I sympathize with those of you who’d rather spend all your money on the actual plants more than you’d suspect. It’s first and foremost a plant event, as are all orchid shows. I would mostly have been hanging out with friends, meeting patrons I only know online and selecting a couple of treasures to be similarly x-rayed! At least I’m getting some plants back in the mail along with my shamed art. I can paint those when they bloom and people will buy the art eventually anyway.

I can tell you the show was great. But what was even better was to meet our fellow ST's NYEric, Ramon, Bob (Bob in Albany, NY), and Craig (WolfDog1). I had an awesome time down in Miami.

I arrive back in DC right after midnight today. I have some work ahead tonight to repot my new plants (I cannot believe Eric had the energy to stay up until 4:30 AM to pot his new babies).

Anyway, I have tons of pictures. Even a couple from Eric with his Phrag Grouville flavum before the x-ray machine. I will post them later tonight when back at home.

Augusto

But, this is all a sinking suspicion unless someone can set me at ease—like you, Eric!
:( Sorry, I can't reassure you. I only had time to RUN through the first few [10 maybe] rooms of art dealers before I had to try to get supplies. OFE was actually sold out of the 2 size pots I needed!! :mad: Hopefully someone will post some of the artwork.

:( Sorry, I can't reassure you. I only had time to RUN through the first few [10 maybe] rooms of art dealers before I had to try to get supplies. OFE was actually sold out of the 2 size pots I needed!! :mad: Hopefully someone will post some of the artwork.

Well, thanks anyway Eric. I’ll know soon enough. If I'm right there is going to be much shame after telling people some of my stuff would be there. :eek: It’s a harsh lesson to be even more anal-retentive than I already am. Good luck finding 2" pots elsewhere. Irritating when one has to have supplies shipped (always silly excited when I get to pick up mix and mounts at shows).

I am glad I didn't go, I spent over $750 for plants in pre-orders, I couldn't imagine how out of control I would have been if there :evil: How much were the variegated Neos running :drool:

My whole family got the special attention treatment with our Florida trip last year. Including a physical search.

I am glad I didn't go, I spent over $750 for plants in pre-orders, I couldn't imagine how out of control I would have been if there :evil: How much were the variegated Neos running :drool:
That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread and looking at Eric's very good pictures. Plus, I'd have to put on an addition to our home -- none of which I can afford. So it's very nice to see this event through other people's eyes and cameras. Thanks!

HI!
First of all, let me say that I would recommend anyone within driving distance, [yes I would make the drive from NYC in light of the confirmation of the depressing news that there will be NO GNYOS show this year

So you absolutely MUST come to the SEPOS/Longwood gardens show! Great orchids, great sellers going to be there, and absolutely the most picturesque place to hold a show.

Nice haul btw!

Eric, Although I sitting in Pretoria, I do understand the frustrations that you and others on this forum has been posting about. I send a lot of documents over for my wife to be presented the the site selection committee at 2 this afternoon. It left here on monday, couriers DHL, to be delivered yesterday at the conferece centre. It landed in USA at JFK and it too more than 36 hours before it left. No explanation. I finally tracked them( the docs) down at a place called Wilmington, Ohio three hours ago.They now left there, and nobody wants to or can tell me anything more. I dont even know how far that is from Miami, and if they are indeed on their way there. I have to phone her in half an hour and give her this news.

Man the spike damage is a bummer. I saw it Wed sticking out the top of the bag. It was good to put some faces with names. I'll try to get photos of the Disas today for those interested.

When I picked up some plants from Glen he told me he was picking up some stuff for you. There were some Neo's for $180/ea. and there may have been some others that were higher. I'll post a photo later. There was one vendor that had a wall of bulbos. TutoPeru asked me if I was interested and I told him that generally I will drown anything w/ bulbs so that's out.

They now left there, and nobody wants to or can tell me anything more. I dont even know how far that is from Miami, and if they are indeed on their way there. I have to phone her in half an hour and give her this news.
cwt, my recommendation for paperwork is to send it to someone at the show as an email attachment and have them print it out.

More pics from WOC

As promised, here are some additional pictures. The disas pictures are not that good, but I guess some of you wanted to see them. The picture of Paph. Scott Ware is not doing it justice. The flower was almost black.

Here is Eric and Ramon holding the Phrag Grouville flavum before the x-ray event. I am telling you, every one passing by us was WOWed. Ramon tried to convinced us it was because of him carring the plant ;)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Varias 508 - Resized.jpg
    Varias 508 - Resized.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Varias 561 - Resized.jpg
    Varias 561 - Resized.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Varias 492 - resized.jpg
    Varias 492 - resized.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Varias 491 - resized.jpg
    Varias 491 - resized.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Varias 499 - Resized.jpg
    Varias 499 - Resized.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Varias 502 - Resized.jpg
    Varias 502 - Resized.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Varias 527 - resized.jpg
    Varias 527 - resized.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Varias 536 - Resized.jpg
    Varias 536 - Resized.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Varias 532 - Resized.jpg
    Varias 532 - Resized.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Varias 534 - resized.jpg
    Varias 534 - resized.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Varias 538 - Resized.jpg
    Varias 538 - Resized.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 19
Eric you don't have the personality to stay anonymous for too long :rollhappy: Eric, Did you cry me a river ???? I saw Frank Smith's besseae River.

Here is the list of thing Glen was to pick up for me. Did you say a wall of Bulbos :clap:

Here is what I preordered but I know there are a few on this list that won't be coming, including the pustulatum. Plus there is another $100 in Bulbos that is for a friend that isn't on this list.

Bulb.wendlandianum
Bulb.virescens
Bulb.vinaceum
Bulb.uniflorum
Bulb.sukhakulii
Bulb.tjadasmalangensis
Bulb.subumbellatum
Bulb.stormii
Bulb.spp (Pen.M'sia)
Bulb.singaporeanum
Bulb.rogusum
Bulb.refractilingue
Bulb.pustulatum
Bulb.psittiglossum
Bulb.planibulbe
Bulb.pahudii
Bulb.ornithorhycum 'Borneo'
Bulb.orectopetalum
Bulb.microchillum
Bulb.mandibulare
Bulb.macrochilum (Borneo)
Bulb.lumbriciforme
Bulb.longissimum
Bulb.longsepalum
Bulb.lasianthum
Bulb.habrotinum
Bulb.gracillum
Bulb.fritillariiflorum
Bulb.evansii
Bulb.ecornutum
Bulb.dayanum
Bulb.cruentum
Bulb.cornutum
Bulb.cameronense
Bulb.brastagiense 'Borneo'
Bulb.binnendijkii
Bulb.abbreviatum (Pen.M'sia)

Last edited:
:clap::clap: Great pics - Thanks TotoPeru!!!
My my Eric - don't you look the proud papa! or what exactly is in that cup? was this before or after the Bacardi booth?!

Rose,
Actually Ramon is the one holding the plant and the cup. The cup had some ice tea Ramon got for Mrs. Norton. Eric is on the left bodyguarding his phrag!

Latest posts

Back