Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Tom-DE

Reaction score
A night blooming cactus. AKA Queen of the Night, Orchid cactus...
The flowers start to open up slowly at night and close up (die) by dawn.
The flower is very fragrant and huge--10 inches wide.DSCN7279.JPG
FDSCN7257.JPG

Last edited:

eds

Reaction score
Very nice Tom. My Epiphyllum anguliger has just finished flowering - they're much smaller but there are lots of them.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
One of the first plants I got when I started collecting.

They get ungainly over time, and my attempt to “bonsai” my current one is a mixed bag, so I may plant it in the hard next spring and see if it’ll overwinter outdoors.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
They do get big over time....but it should be no problem to keep a manageable-sized plant since it is so easy to root a decent cutting and grow them again.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
The one I currently have was a leaf only (about 11” long) when I got it 2years ago. I rooted it in a 4” pot and it grew a 3’ stalk, and I cut the top foot off. It had one blossom about a year after I got it.

it is still in that 4” pot (hence the “bonsai” comment) and has grown to a full 3’ this year, and had 2 blossoms several weeks ago.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
William, a large cutting from a matured plant can bloom in the following flowering season, which means as little as just a few months. This cactus grows well outdoor in summer, in part shade, warm, slightly dry out between waterings. It doesn't care much about the soil type as long as it has good drainage, I'd even used ordinary garden soil to root a few cuttings for my neighbor and friends.
IMO, I would let those "stalks" that Ray mentioned, grow some leaves. They normally will produce more flowers from those leaves, or cut the whole stalk off after they have some leaves and root the whole stalk...there, you have a good replacement for an old big plant instantly.

Last edited:

Latest posts