epi. melanoporphyreum 'J&L'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
A.K.A. epi. melonoporphrea or the black epi. It does border on black in the shade but is a deep, deep purple/maroon. This one has been my nemesis for years. I've killed off a very expensive plant of it and was able to get this one, almost killed it off again and managed to sustain it barely for a couple more years. So, finally it has bloomed for me and it's(only) 3 growths look like it may finally be stable. Only 2 blooms, but to be honest I'm just happy it's alive and doing o.k. :> Maybe it likes the s/h because it sure didn't like anything else for me!

It seems pretty rare because all I can find is a plant on Jay's site. I know the owner of the one pictured on his site and that plant is dead too, I believe so it must not be an easy grower.

Anyway, celebrate with me!
melanoporphrea.jpg

lip close-up
lipclose.jpg

Candace,

It's always a special feeling to struggle and FINALLY get one right, isn't it?

Congratulations. Or maybe that should be; Magna cum Lauderman !!

charlie c

Thanks and yes, it's buggy:> It better not croak now that I think I may have beaten it! Haha Charlie. Reminds me of the Christmas card I get every year from my Aunt. I've been married for close to 20 years and she never spells our last name correctly. Every year we get a card sent to The Laundermans. I don't know about you, but I'd much prefer to be a "Land" owner than a laundrymat operator.

the flower looks as if it had a 'strong' character, maybe like a survivor; I am curious about the next bloom to come! Jean

Candace
Congratulations for blooming this spectacular specie and for sharing excellent pictures.
This is also one of my favorite species to grow. In Peru, it grows in several areas, very close to the habitat of P. kovachii. It requires cool nights , not a lot of light and is of terrestrial and epyphite habit. Temperatures are intermediate to cool, specially at night.
It is a very rewarding orchid when in bloom. They can grow very tall, over 1 mt. The inflorescen may branch and put dozens of flowers.
Have a nice week and enjoy your orchids

Congrats on getting it to bloom. Very different in liking low light. I assume it's from J&L Orchids. Who's Jay? Anyway, thanx for posting.

Candice, I have had one for 4-5 years now and it blooms twice a year on the new growth. For me the growths are about 30" tall. It just finished blooming and had 2 inflorescenes with about 25 flowers each. I have been growing it in moss in a 4" wood basket. I haven't seen any problem with light levels except the foliage is very dark purple. I keep my growing space at 60- 63 degrees in winter. I don't think it wants to be disturbed but I will divide it tomorrow as it getting new roots now and place each half in a wood basket in moss and take one to the cool greenhouse which I keep in the low 50's and see how it does. Knowing that it grows in some of the same areas as kovachii tells me it may do even better in cooler temps.
Jim

Candice, I have had one for 4-5 years now and it blooms twice a year on the new growth. For me the growths are about 30" tall. It just finished blooming and had 2 inflorescenes with about 25 flowers each. I have been growing it in moss in a 4" wood basket. I haven't seen any problem with light levels except the foliage is very dark purple. I keep my growing space at 60- 63 degrees in winter. I don't think it wants to be disturbed but I will divide it tomorrow as it getting new roots now and place each half in a wood basket in moss and take one to the cool greenhouse which I keep in the low 50's and see how it does. Knowing that it grows in some of the same areas as kovachii tells me it may do even better in cooler temps.
Jim
Edit/Delete Message

Wow. Be sure to take a photo when it blooms for you!

Latest posts

Back