eOrchids Paph Collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eOrchids

Reaction score
Though I grow other orchids as well, here is my collection of Paph.

Paph
Maudiae var coloratum
Maudiae var alba
Shadow Magic x Laser
Temptation (philippinense 'Calico' AM/AOS x kolopakingii 'Klehm's')
St. Swithin ( St. Swithin x self)
Michael Koopowitz (philippinense #33 x sandeianum #7)
Philippinense (philippinense #31 SM/TPS x philippinense #29)

I'm thinking of getting Paph. Roth next or maybe a Phrag. :D

Last edited:
I would suggest a Phrag. Jason Fischer. You can find them everywhere, usually pretty inexpensive, and most of them are really nice crosses. Mine are growing like weeds, and are much more vigorous than my besseae species. Though, you could go with a besseae species and be cool with both me and Heather. :)

PHRAG said:
I would suggest a Phrag. Jason Fischer. You can find them everywhere, usually pretty inexpensive, and most of them are really nice crosses. Mine are growing like weeds, and are much more vigorous than my besseae species. Though, you could go with a besseae species and be cool with both me and Heather. :)

I'm cool with besseae too! Might not be my first choice for a first phrag, though.

Although if I were to recommend a phrag, I'd need to know a little more. Do you have a reasonably large space to put something? If so, you can't go wrong with Sorcerer's Apprentice (can get quite big...), Don Wimber (gets pretty big), or something like those Sergeant Erics you keep seeing pictures of here. Anything with a good dose of longifolium in it is a really good starter phrag.

If you want something smaller, then you need to go with something that has a lot of schlimii and/or pearcii in the background. Something like Magdalene Rose, Ecua-Bess, and even Hanne Popow stays reasonably small. Avoid schlimii and fischeri, as cute and small as they are they are definitely not beginner phrags.

You should know that Paph rothschildianum seedlings are easy to grow but can take up to 7 years to flower. Most people don't have the patience to wait for the plant to flower. They usually kill them before it matures.

They can get pretty large. My Paph rothschildianum have 6 growths and the whole plant is over 36 inches across and I have to take the plant to the bathtub to be watered.

Your conditions determines what grows well in your place. Intermediate-cool temp, I would go for Phrag. Intermediate-hot, I would go for Paph roths.

Paphman910

Heather:
Did you see the picture of Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Best' x 'Rex' photo posted by lienluu?

My first roth flask is Paph roth 'Powerhouse' x 'Scorpio King' that I got almost three years ago and a number of them have 24 inch leafspan and I think they will flower in the next 2-3 years. They are grown 2 feet below a 400 Metal Halide bulb. My other roth flask 'Sam's Choice' x 'Eureka' is 12 -15 inch leafspan was purchased a year and a half ago.

Paphman910

Paphman910 said:
Heather:
Did you see the picture of Paph rothschildianum 'Sam's Best' x 'Rex' photo posted by lienluu?

Paphman910

I did, yeah, and it is really nice! I have actually been trying to sell this plant for quite a while, it is a great little plant, but I have several other roths and someone else might be looking for one. It isn't "cheap" but I would sell it for less than readily available.

...easiest Phragmipedium, in my opinion, is Phrag. Sorceror's Apprentice (spelling?)... the Phrag. longifolium cross... they can get pretty tall spikes, and sequential blooms... best thing about it is that it comes in different colorations, sizes, and way the petals are arranged... I see them offered everywhere in bloom, at any time... and they are realtively cheap, just to start out with...

-Pat

Well I guys I just recently got hold of:
Paph. rothschildianum 'Spot' x self
Paph. insigne sanderianum 'gladiator' x self

:D

Here's the current status of my Paph & Phrag collection:

Paph:
Maudiae var coloratum
Maudiae var alba
Shadow Magic x Laser
St. Swithin ( St. Swithin x self)
Michael Koopowitz (philippinense #33 x sanderianum #7)
Philippinense (philippinense #31 SM/TPS x philippinense #29)
rothschildianum 'Spot' x self
insigne sanderianum 'gladiator' x self
sanderianum 'Long Dorsal' x 'White Hair'

Phrag:
Ashley Wilkes (Phrag. Eric Young 4N 'Mont Millais" AM/RHS x Phrag. warscewiczianum)

I also have Phrag Ashly Wilkes that I purchased from Orchidview this past year. A Phrag Tara jumped in box along with the first purchase. ;)

Yeah it's interesting the way they do that and then reach into your wallet... [I also have Phrag Ashly Wilkes that I purchased from Orchidview this past year. A Phrag Tara jumped in box along with the first purchase.]

UPDATE:

Paphiopedilum:
Maudie var coloratum
Maudie var alba
Shadow Magic x Laser
St. Swithin ( St. Swithn x self)
Michael Koopowitz (philippinense #33 x sanderianum #7)
philippinense (philippinense #31 SM/TPS x philippinense #29)
rothschildianum ('Spot' x self)
insigne sanderianum ('gladiator' x self)
sanderianium ('Long Dorsal' x 'White Hair')
villosum ( 'Pink Lady' x 'Statuesque')
Lady Isabel (stonei x rothschildianum)
Moustache (St. Swithin x laevigatum)
Taiwan (platyphyllum x rothschildianum)

Phragmipedium:
Ashley Wilkes (Phrag. Eric Young 4N 'Mont Millais" AM/RHS x Phrag. warscewiczianum)

:)

Latest posts

Back