Quantcast

Editing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
It would be nice if you would extend the time or eliminate the time in which a person can make edits over in the collections area.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Just another possible thought but what about restricting the number of edits a member can make in a 24 hour period of time as opposed to restriciting the time? I feel bad about adding a new post every time I want to change or add something to that list not to mention it's going to be a very long thread some day.

If I'm not being too bold, why is editing limited? Do edits mess up the server backing up data or something?

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Just another possible thought but what about restricting the number of edits a member can make in a 24 hour period of time as opposed to restriciting the time? I feel bad about adding a new post every time I want to change or add something to that list not to mention it's going to be a very long thread some day.

If I'm not being too bold, why is editing limited? Do edits mess up the server backing up data or something?
It's just a default function of the system. I don't know the exact purpose but I think it is essentially a way to keep trolls from posting and then deleting their messages. Happens a lot at OSF - people say things that they later regret and delete or change the post so when you quote someone it's not always accurate.

I can look into modifying the permissions but not right away...

gonewild

Grower
Reaction score
I suggest that the default edit time is correct.
I don't think it should be any easier to edit or change post content in a forum where opinions and ideas are shared. Errors are easily corrected by an additional post. I hate it when I refer back to a post and find out it says something completely different than when I first read it.

Candace

Reaction score
I suggest that the default edit time is correct.
I don't think it should be any easier to edit or change post content in a forum where opinions and ideas are shared. Errors are easily corrected by an additional post. I hate it when I refer back to a post and find out it says something completely different than when I first read it.
Me too.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Why would anyone care how many times another member adds or deletes from the list of what they grow or corrects spelling and such? Seems kinda silly to me. On the other hand, I suppose I could see people being outrageous and creating some phenomenal list of plants they don't own just to get a rise out of someone.

I can see where people might come back to a post days later and want to change something because in reading it a second time they realize they may have hurt somebody's feelings or what not. Personally, I don't see a problem with it and perhaps if the trolls are kept at bay with all the tools out there to minimize their damage, maybe extending the edit time could be revisited in the years to come.

There don't seem to be any mean spirited people here, high spirited but not mean.

gonewild

Grower
Reaction score
Why would anyone care how many times another member adds or deletes from the list of what they grow or corrects spelling and such? Seems kinda silly to me. On the other hand, I suppose I could see people being outrageous and creating some phenomenal list of plants they don't own just to get a rise out of someone.
For list keeping editing is not an issue and would be a cleaner way to keep your list. On the other hand creating a new post each time you add or subtract plants gives you a timeline like a diary of how your collection progresses. In any case my comments about edit times were not directed at list keeping. But as Heather said all the different forums have a common "edit time" built into the software control.

I can see where people might come back to a post days later and want to change something because in reading it a second time they realize they may have hurt somebody's feelings or what not. Personally, I don't see a problem with it and perhaps if the trolls are kept at bay with all the tools out there to minimize their damage, maybe extending the edit time could be revisited in the years to come.
Because when you post something for others to read it is "published" for public review. Readers need to be able to refer back and verify what the "thought" they read. If the content is constantly changing there is nothing to refer back to. If someones feelings get hurt then an apology in an additional post is the correct way to respond, not simply changing what was written and covering over the problem. Then if someone ever wants to know what offended someone they can read back into the archives and gain knowledge about what might have been offensive. 24 hours is sufficient time to make sure you mean what you write.

Editing a post also has other repercussions beyond offense to someone. If someone makes a written statement that contains data or recommendations about culture and then two weeks later changes it by edit there is no way for previous readers to know the data has been altered or updated. A new post to add the changes is called to everyones attention and people can react accordingly.

There don't seem to be any mean spirited people here, high spirited but not mean.
Then there is no reason to edit any posts! ;)

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Sorry Lance, I didn't follow your line of reasoning regarding there being no reason to edit any posts. I saw many legitimate reasons to edit a post. Unfortunately, I now also see many not-so-legitimate reasons that people would edit posts.

I don't know about all other forums but I do know there's a little forum out there for people who compost and editing is unlimited and another little forum out there for invasive species and editing is unlimited specifically so members can go back and add to their posts when new research comes out and then there's a carnivorous plant forum in which editing is unlimited also. Sort of keeps everything orderly but I've not seen anyone pull any shots. The only experience I have is with little forums where editing is and has always been unlimited.

Based on your example, I can see where it would be pretty scummy for somebody to try to dupe somebody or try to make another member look like an ass by typing something then going back and editing it. That's just flat out malicious as far as I am concerned. Make a mistake, post you made a mistake and call it a day. People are human.

What I would like to know is that if I accidentally break a link to a photo I have posted, may I ask an administrator to correct it for me so that the thread isn't all botched up because it's missing a photo? Same deal with hyperlinks. Some sites go down or are moved and then my link is broken. Those are but two instances I can recall having to edit posts long after the original post was typed.

As far as the lists, you pretty much summed up what I was thinking. I have no need for a timeline but I would like to keep what I have neat and tidy and I'd also like to keep what is on order somewhere so that I can find it readily. Being able to edit would have been a cleaner way for me personally by being able to move what is on order up to what is being grown upon receipt but I do realize that there currently exists no way to allow editing in one forum without doing so for all the other forums.

Evidently this wasn't about trolls but more so about there existing a history of members pulling cheap shots in the past either here or at that other forum that most of the people came from. That I can respect and appreciate. The editing is restricted by design.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Based on your example, I can see where it would be pretty scummy for somebody to try to dupe somebody or try to make another member look like an ass by typing something then going back and editing it. That's just flat out malicious as far as I am concerned. Make a mistake, post you made a mistake and call it a day. People are human.
Lauren, we have only ever had to ban one member from this forum, and it was because of repeated behavior of this sort. As well of a helluva lot of lies on his behalf.

What I would like to know is that if I accidentally break a link to a photo I have posted, may I ask an administrator to correct it for me so that the thread isn't all botched up because it's missing a photo? Same deal with hyperlinks. Some sites go down or are moved and then my link is broken. Those are but two instances I can recall having to edit posts long after the original post was typed.
Yes. Let me know, and I'll help you to fix it. :) We had another member I used to help in this way and I've no problem helping another. Or two, or three, or six - as long as you realize I also have a day job and some days I am not available instantly - but send me a PM and eventually I'll get to it.

Evidently this wasn't about trolls but more so about there existing a history of members pulling cheap shots in the past either here or at that other forum that most of the people came from. That I can respect and appreciate. The editing is restricted by design.
Exactly.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
I don't think there's any rush to fixing broken links to photos or sites. I almost wiped out all of my photos for that acaule raised bed thread I started trying to move them all into a folder for a relative to find easier and about had a heart attack when I was prompted with that broken link warning box at photobucket. Botched up photos and links can mess up a thread though and make it hard to follow so it's good that you people can still go in and edit after the time expires.

On a side note, I have to tell you that the missing edit button threw me for a loop. I was over in that collections area and was trying to ram everything into the first post and the edit button was gone. I thought for sure I had screwed up some setting on my firewall so went poking around trying to see if I could undo what I had done to myself. Then I went to add what the crosses were to some of the plants I had and I couldn't and I thought what the heck. I'm skipping the crosses for a while. Too much work.

Latest posts