eBay Vendor Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much experience do you have with recently deflasked seedlings? Most of that vendors' items that I've ever noticed look like they are the size of newly deflasked seedlings, individually potted up. Typically at that size, most people would place them into compots for easier care and greater survival rate. I think even some more experienced growers would struggle with the plants individually potted up (and then sent through shipping hell).

The seedlings are "cheap" but I suspect that if you aren't experienced with very young orchids, then it's going to be very hit or miss as to whether you will succeed with them. And I suspect this vendor's business approach is to target the "but it's cheap so I don't care if it lives or dies" crowd. Granted, they probably do have some things that aren't freshly deflasked seedlings, and you might have better luck with that sort of thing.

At the very least, it seems like most of the plants they sale are from flasks purchased from Flasks by Chuck Acker, so if you do succeed with them, they're probably going to be good to great quality. On the other hand, I'd rather just spend the money to get the whole/half flask directly from Chuck so I can keep the best of them for myself.

How much experience do you have with recently deflasked seedlings? Most of that vendors' items that I've ever noticed look like they are the size of newly deflasked seedlings, individually potted up. Typically at that size, most people would place them into compots for easier care and greater survival rate. I think even some more experienced growers would struggle with the plants individually potted up (and then sent through shipping hell).

The seedlings are "cheap" but I suspect that if you aren't experienced with very young orchids, then it's going to be very hit or miss as to whether you will succeed with them. And I suspect this vendor's business approach is to target the "but it's cheap so I don't care if it lives or dies" crowd. Granted, they probably do have some things that aren't freshly deflasked seedlings, and you might have better luck with that sort of thing.

At the very least, it seems like most of the plants they sale are from flasks purchased from Flasks by Chuck Acker, so if you do succeed with them, they're probably going to be good to great quality. On the other hand, I'd rather just spend the money to get the whole/half flask directly from Chuck so I can keep the best of them for myself.
I've done well with seedlings themselves, and just divided a compot, but nothing as new as a newly deflasked seedling. I purchased a couple of the same hybrid and they said it's about a year until blooming size, so fingers crossed. If they're really just newly deflasked and give a lot of trouble, then I'll probably just pay the extra to get a compot/half flask.

I bought a couple dozen seedlings from her a few years back just to have a handful of Phrags without committing space to full flasks. As said above they are fresh out of flask so if you're comfortable with that or don't mind experimenting then go for it, everything that has bloomed out for me seems to be labeled accurately and grew out without any problems.

I've bought a bunch of plants from this vendor and I also regularly buy flasks off of Chuck (Whom I highly recommend if you ever decide to go for flasks).

As many of the others have said, many/most of the plants are small seedlings of varying ages, mostly less than a year or so from deflasking. Some I've purchased have been quite small; others have been larger plants - pay attention to the descriptions and any pictures. None that I have gotten have been as small as the plants I get fresh out of flask from Chuck. In my observation the plants have looked good roots have tended to look pretty good too.

If you've not worked with small plants before, this is possibly a great first step towards picking up your own flasks and raising your own seedlings. Nothing beats the value of (and opportunity to grow on and pick out the best from) flasks. But if you don't have the space to devote to it/missed out on a flask you wanted/want to try out just a few, this isn't a bad way to go.

Me, I would check to see that they are not being sent from China or something-- Long time in a shipping container could kill them. I've recently bought a phrag from eBay. I bought a lot of plants from e-bay. No experience with the person/company, BUT I definitely would check where the location is for the safety of the plant.

I bought a couple dozen seedlings from her a few years back just to have a handful of Phrags without committing space to full flasks. As said above they are fresh out of flask so if you're comfortable with that or don't mind experimenting then go for it, everything that has bloomed out for me seems to be labeled accurately and grew out without any problems.
I've bought a bunch of plants from this vendor and I also regularly buy flasks off of Chuck (Whom I highly recommend if you ever decide to go for flasks).

As many of the others have said, many/most of the plants are small seedlings of varying ages, mostly less than a year or so from deflasking. Some I've purchased have been quite small; others have been larger plants - pay attention to the descriptions and any pictures. None that I have gotten have been as small as the plants I get fresh out of flask from Chuck. In my observation the plants have looked good roots have tended to look pretty good too.

If you've not worked with small plants before, this is possibly a great first step towards picking up your own flasks and raising your own seedlings. Nothing beats the value of (and opportunity to grow on and pick out the best from) flasks. But if you don't have the space to devote to it/missed out on a flask you wanted/want to try out just a few, this isn't a bad way to go.

Good to know that they're accurate, as that was something I was also worried about. After I should receive them tomorrow, but I had also reserved a flask from Chuck Acker since I'll have enough space for a project like that, so I believe it should be ready around October (CA912 since I love white/pastel varieties).

Me, I would check to see that they are not being sent from China or something-- Long time in a shipping container could kill them. I've recently bought a phrag from eBay. I bought a lot of plants from e-bay. No experience with the person/company, BUT I definitely would check where the location is for the safety of the plant.

Yeah, I always check to see where they ship from, I always purchase from inside the US to support "local" vendors and also get them in a timely manner.

The description for everything she sells says one or two years from blooming which I believe is not correct. They all look like fresh out of flask as Tony said.
I bought a seedling of Paphiopedilum hangianum (regular x album) a couple of years ago. No one else was bidding and so I got it at a starting price of 12. If I were to buy a whole flask, which is not even available in the US, it would cost me a few hundred dollars, so that was a good purchase. The seedling is doing well for me.

The description for everything she sells says one or two years from blooming which I believe is not correct. They all look like fresh out of flask as Tony said.
I bought a seedling of Paphiopedilum hangianum (regular x album) a couple of years ago. No one else was bidding and so I got it at a starting price of 12. If I were to buy a whole flask, which is not even available in the US, it would cost me a few hundred dollars, so that was a good purchase. The seedling is doing well for me.

I bloomed the first couple from my batch a week shy of the two year mark, Micropetalum Phrags can be pretty fast growers.

suzy
Anyone have experience purchasing from suzysslippersfl? Just curious, her prices seem really good, so I just wanted to check.
Suzy s Slippers LLC | eBay Stores
is Suzyquec a fellow slippertalk member .
https://www.slippertalk.com/members/suzyquec.51474/I bought plants from Suzy before , I think her plants are hardening off and grown for some time before she releases them on ebay (not just out of flasks)
If you don't have success with growing from flasks, or do not want to buy the whole flask , her plants are good alternative.
I bought whole phrag dalessandroi flask and can not keep them alive, after that , I bought 3 dalessandroi seedlings from her , they still alive today .
A flask contains tender baby plants, in that group there are some weak seedlings too . Buying her plants , one skips the first stage of raising them , also the plants that she sells are the ones which made it ( not the weak ones)

I bloomed the first couple from my batch a week shy of the two year mark, Micropetalum Phrags can be pretty fast growers.
True.
It's just that her description says "one or two year from blooming" for everything if I remember correctly.

suzy

Suzy s Slippers LLC | eBay Stores
is Suzyquec a fellow slippertalk member .
https://www.slippertalk.com/members/suzyquec.51474/I bought plants from Suzy before , I think her plants are hardening off and grown for some time before she releases them on ebay (not just out of flasks)
If you don't have success with growing from flasks, or do not want to buy the whole flask , her plants are good alternative.
I bought whole phrag dalessandroi flask and can not keep them alive, after that , I bought 3 dalessandroi seedlings from her , they still alive today .
A flask contains tender baby plants, in that group there are some weak seedlings too . Buying her plants , one skips the first stage of raising them , also the plants that she sells are the ones which made it ( not the weak ones)
I bought several seedlings from her as well and they are all doing great!

Just received the 2 I ordered and they came in great shape! Just had to top off the pots, would definitely purchase from her again.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 22
Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions are requests on my EBay listings. I have been working hard on listings larger seedlings as well as more mature orchids. Thanks to all of you who have purchased from me over the years!

Also note that I hold USDA import and CITES licenses so if I list a plant from Taiwan or any other country they have been brought in legally and inspected in the United States. The same goes for shipping to states like California, Texas and North Carolina, I hold Florida Department of Agriculture licenses certifying that my nursery is registered and nematode as well as some other pests free. Without this license shipments to California can be held and destroyed.
Suzy

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions are requests on my EBay listings. I have been working hard on listings larger seedlings as well as more mature orchids. Thanks to all of you who have purchased from me over the years!

Also note that I hold USDA import and CITES licenses so if I list a plant from Taiwan or any other country they have been brought in legally and inspected in the United States. The same goes for shipping to states like California, Texas and North Carolina, I hold Florida Department of Agriculture licenses certifying that my nursery is registered and nematode as well as some other pests free. Without this license shipments to California can be held and destroyed.
Suzy

That's awesome! I look forward to purchasing more in the future 😁

I agree completely with Mr Happy Rotter. I have purchased a few plants from Suzy. Yes, They have all be extremely small. I buy flasks directly from Chuck and have had much better luck raising those than the ones from Suzy. So, I have simply stopped, even it is a cross that I missed from Chuck!
George

Latest posts

Back