eBay ripoff seller - darren0987

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this seller on ebay? Right now he's selling a run-of-the-mill wallisii for $110, an armeniacum for $125, and a St. Swithin for $100. Gouging does not quite express what he's doing strongly enough. He seems to think that every plant he has counts as 'rare'.

I seriously hope no one is paying such exorbitant prices for these things.

--Stephen

Ebay is full of people wanting to make money, and fools willing to part with it. Sometimes you just want to laugh, and sometimes it's pretty frustrating.

I once paid $50 for an item that should have cost me $10. Lesson learned, and I moved on. Or you stalk the person down and stomp them. Either way.

:)

funny you point that out. I was contemplating sending an email asking "what are you on and where can I get some of that stuff".

nobody is paying for these things, believe me. you should see the "all red rare rare phal" that he has that goes unsold. this is a plant that has more red on the leaves (woop woop).

ebay listings are HILARIOUS and this guy is at the top of the list. I officially nominate darren as EBAY CLOWN.

Jmoney said:
nobody is paying for these things, believe me. you should see the "all red rare rare phal" that he has that goes unsold. this is a plant that has more red on the leaves (woop woop).

I wonder if it's sun burnt? I've heard that that's the only way leaves turn red.

And the Oberhausans Diamant looks like a Sand. to me

he's also using Argus Orchids' picture of sanderianum
(although i think it's too expensive, it's not unheard of to have a wallisii or similar in spike or flower for $100)

Last edited:
likespaphs - it is a sand. its the same picture. I knew it looked familiar

His bel royal also looks like its been photoshoped

Hahaha

A few days ago I emailed him and told him that he had listed his wallissii as a lindenii. Now I feel bad about helping him out!

Even though he might be ripping people off, I say all the power to him. He can't be too bad with 100% positive feedback. There are suckers that seem very happy overpaying for plants and love his service. :) Apparantly there's a demand for overpriced plants. If you're willing to give me $100 for a white Home Depot phalaenopsis I'll gladly sell it to you too, hehe

In fact, I'll give you 20% OFF, but only today and only for ST members, so ACT FAST as quantities are very limited. Only $39.95 for shipping anywhere in the US. I'll even remove the Home Depot price tags for you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ebay ripoffs

Yes its cavet empora on ebay. I cringed when I saw someone selling a cyp seed pod for $500.00 Or worst yet someone was selling cyp acaules as easy to grow garden plants. They claimed to be nursery grown or from a carefully tended garden area. IF I recall people were really upset over this one!
Happy growing from
Lindafrog - where its going to 90 degrees today, Now its too hot to put my orchids outside...

his auctions are a riot! if I tried to post some fake auctions I bet I couldn't get as many laughs as his!

I wake up every morning and thank the ebay gods for bringing us access to such rare orchid treasures at such affordable prices. Where would we be without them.... :rollhappy:

There's a lot of crap on eBay, no doubt about its...but there is a lot of good stuff there too if you're willing to look....I've gotten some great plants, including a blooming P. insigne sanderianum for something like $25 or less...I've also recently gotten some good divisions of awarded (older) complex paphs for around $20...things like Miracle, Sonoma, etc....I've only gotten burned when I was careless and didin't watch what I was bidding...and even then, it was the price that was bad...and my fault...the plants were good. Take care, Eric

absolutely! nowadays I find myself getting more and more paphs from ebay...just have to know where to look, and use the warning signs to avoid certain sellers.

Another thing about Ebay....don't just go by feedback....a lot of us are reluctant to post negative feedback...it sometimes isn't worth it to go into a "feedback war"....look at the number of bids. When seemingly nice plants get no bids, there is a reason for it. There is one seller whose plants are always listed...at fair, not great, prices...but there are never any bids. I bid once...and was warned by others on Ebay...turns out the plants are fine, but the seller is a bit weird...lots of delays, etc...Also, once you get familiar with some sellers, you get notices of their sales before they post on Ebay...I just picked up a multigrowth Maudiae "The Queen", in low bud, for just $35....Take care, Eric

I remember seeing that 'Queen' a few weeks back...foliage looked a little unusual to me ('The Queen' has a distinctive light green mottled pattern) but the flower pic was consistent with that cultivar, and foliage of course probably varies according to conditions. hope it blooms true for you.

One thing I like to check is whether or not the seller leaves feedback for the buyer before the buyer leaves feedback. If the seller never leaves feedback first, it usually means they're a retaliatory seller and will leave a negative response if the buyer does. A while back I made a very short list then got distracted by other things:

non-retaliatory:
canbyorchid
suncoastairaffair
monsoonflora
rxorchids
orchidmother
bandbandmandt
shermantp

retaliatory:
cgmoody
orchidspeed
neoorchids

--Stephen

a lot of sellers seem to refrain from posting positive feedback until the transaction is complete, which is a shame since by paying you have already upheld your end of the bargain.

but the way I see it is that I rarely sell anything, so I couldn't care less if I get negative feedback. it's the seller who has more to lose with negatives. not that I would extort the seller (although some ebay buyer clowns do this, I am certain), but if the seller sends me garbage and blows me off, I would have no hesitation to post a negative and tell the world about it. thus it would behoove smart sellers to make sure they deliver what is advertised, and to correct any problems that arise if it is of their making.

Latest posts

Back