eBay question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
I recently bid on a plant that I ended up winning- at my max bid. Just wanted to ask those who have sold plants on eBay before (or anything else for that matter). Is it possible to see a bidder's max bid? If so, could you tip off your friend to bid just below the max bid to drive up the price?

I have no experience in selling, it's just, my max bid was an odd price to end at... It just seems strange.

As a bidder you should be able to see the full bid history.
Anyway I hope you haven't disclosed your max bid...

Hello AdamD. There are several points to consider when bidding on eBay:
1. If you see a plant you want to acquire, figure out how much you really want to own it and establish your maximum bid. Do this a couple of days before the auction ends. Put a "watch" on your target. But do not bid.
2. Make sure you have a good and fast Internet connection on your computer.
3. Approximately a minute before the auction ends, enter your maximum bid. Most people enter round numbers. But you apparently had an odd number on your bid, such as, $34.57--and that is why you won your bid. Entering an odd number like this will increase your chances of winning an auction.
4. This is why you need to know how fast your internet connection is--confirm your bid T-5 seconds. This is known as "snipping". Doing this late bidding gets your adrenaline going but increases your chances of winning.
5. If you loose the auction, chances are the vendor will have another plant available and you'll see it up for auction. I'm very cynical when a vendor puts the word "rare" on their plant's description.

I hope this helps. eBay has gone to great lengths to protect its bidders' identity--no one but you knows your maximum bid. If you were bidding on a particularly popular item, at the end of the auction, you can see how the bidding transpired through time. This is a good way to determine how late you can go before you hit "confirm bid".

Manual bidding doesn't compete against robot snipers. You've got to use the same weapons.

To answer your question:
1) as an Ebay seller I cannot see the maximum bid of any bidder
2) other bidders might bid in $1 increment until they reach another persons max bid.
3) as a seller, it is illegal (but some may still do it) to get a friend or relative to bid on their item to get the bids up.

Pete

Thanks everyone for the insight. I think it was just a coincidence. My max was $102.50. The next highest was $100 at the last second of bidding. The seller has had good communication and is holding the plant for a few days til the weather breaks. I did not disclose my max bid. It was what I was willing to pay for a nice division of my favorite cross.

I know this seller, he is very honest IMO, I don't think the behaviour you are talking about would be part of his selling practices. You can see all the automatic biddings in the item bidding history, it shows you the max bids for each bidder that trigger price increase.
Nice plant you got BTW!

I know this seller, he is very honest IMO, I don't think the behaviour you are talking about would be part of his selling practices. You can see all the automatic biddings in the item bidding history, it shows you the max bids for each bidder that trigger price increase.
Nice plant you got BTW!

Ah you figured it out! Good detective work, I didn't think anyone would get it because it wasn't a slipper. Unless, did I beat you out? If so, sorry. The seller seems very honest and open. I was just shocked at the final price. Didn't think the demand was that high for the cross. I have a few others, this is just the best one I've seen.

No I didn't bid on it (assuming we are talking about the same plant - Mo x Cata from SVO...), but I got many plants from SVO and they are fantastic!

No, good guess though. I would never accuse Fred of foul play! I'm glad no one has figured it out. I'd hate to inadvertently slander someone's name with my paranoid passing thoughts. I really think it was a legit coincidence and I was just being paranoid.

Latest posts

Back