Ebay question-Whats up with that?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

etex

Yesterday bid on a sweet neofinetia-three plants in basket. No other bidders. Was watching my bid screen as the auction was ending and still no other bidders, so I thought I had won when auction ended.Went to Email and received email that I had been outbid at last second. Even though 'outbid' never came up on the ebay site before the end of the auction. Anyone have any ideas how this can be done?

People can snipe at the last few seconds or even use a second party bidding system that will automatically bid at the last few seconds. It happens a lot.

Yeah! It happens often, and it's infuriating particularly when you have snail speed Internet.

You need to keep refreshing even in the last minute....but if you have slow connection your screwed because it just takes to long.
Been there...had it happen!!!

--Allen--

Frequent refreshing usually doesn't help any. If some other bidder has sniped the auction, they typically wait until their are ten seconds or less left when the snipe program places their bid. Not enough time for you to react and increase your bid.

I try to make it a policy on eBay to simply start with my highest price I'm willing to pay. If I'm outbid, so be it. If I get it, then it's usually less than my maximum amount. Of course, there have been times when I reacted emotionally and upped my bid, but I try to keep that behavior in check.

Good luck bidding!

i know what you mean about snipping, I watched as the countdown on Laelia ancep ended with my high bid. I refreshed to see I had not won. MY feelings are bid as high as you can go and set back. I did get a laugh when a sniper tried to outbid me at the last second but my bid was a few cents more. I know some people love the trill of snipping, but it does not seem like a straight foward , polite way of doing business... but hey that is today's world... and there is always buy it now or pay retail with a reliable vendor

Thanks for the tips! Dial up is a drag! Still , I got the one I really wanted- a spicerianum with 5 growths and 3 spikes!!

NicK is right, if you really want something on eBay bid the max you're willing to go. Sometimes if an item has low price or little movement you can get a bargain.

Tom- That is a good question! The description said 3 plants. I think of Neos as monopodial but just looked at a reference that says this plant freely produces basal offshoots.

Thanks nikv-your tip paid off last night and the sniper, who fired an incredible last second salvo,did not win!!:)
Frequent refreshing usually doesn't help any. If some other bidder has sniped the auction, they typically wait until their are ten seconds or less left when the snipe program places their bid. Not enough time for you to react and increase your bid.

I try to make it a policy on eBay to simply start with my highest price I'm willing to pay. If I'm outbid, so be it. If I get it, then it's usually less than my maximum amount. Of course, there have been times when I reacted emotionally and upped my bid, but I try to keep that behavior in check.

Good luck bidding!

I usually will put in the higher bid amount also. Like Nik said, sometimes I will up it, at last minute, but that is only if there are other bidders and it is getting close to what my bid was. ( I have dial-up) It does s***!!

Tom

I agree with Nik....if its something I really want, I start highest, then give up if I'm outbid. Ebay is so unpredictable...I get outbid on sure things, then sometimes win plants I never thought I'd bid close to.

Monsoon had some serious,deep pocket sniping/countersniping last evening with 2 compots almost tripling in price and 1 almost quadrupling at the last seconds! It was interesting to watch in a 'how high will they go' kind of way.

Fortunately,a cloak of invisability surrounded one of the compots and I got it for a song.:)

Monsoon had some serious,deep pocket sniping/countersniping last evening with 2 compots almost tripling in price and 1 almost quadrupling at the last seconds! It was interesting to watch in a 'how high will they go' kind of way.
Fortunately,a cloak of invisability surrounded one of the compots and I got it for a song.:)
Wasn't that a riot! What did you get? I ended up with Junko's Melody, I also tried for the Susan Booth x S. Gratrix, I didn't have a chance, was surprised to find that one went for $100!

Latest posts

Back