Ebay photo theft too!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Candace said:
O.K. this is just too bizarre...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CLIVIA-BEAUT...1QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42211QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My clivia photos...I sent a nasty e-mail to not use them again or I'll report it to ebay. And I've put a warning on my site.

Maybe my photos have been stolen for years and I'm just now finding out about it because I'm taking the time to research...AARGH!

Hummm... I guess your photos are worth stealing.
Maybe you should have had an agent all these years. :drool:
Of course your agent would have ripped you off even worse.
Digital image copyright infringement potential is the main reason I got out of stock photography.

You will drive yourself nuts trying to police the use of your images. You would be better off putting your URL on each image and allowing their use by people. At least that way you get credit for your images and exposure to your website. They are going to steal them anyway.

Lance, I've got photoshop but haven't looked into doing this...maybe I'll do a google and see what kind of work is involved. It will take me hours I imagine to do this on all the photos I've already got up. Sucks.

By, the way my clivia is in full bloom now and is gorgeous!

The only way I knew about this infringement is that I'm paying for it!! They were linking directly to my site and it came up under my monthly useage listing. I wouldn't have been able to tell if they had directly copied/downloaded my image and put it in their auction as theirs...so this is happening too, I'm sure.

Candace said:
Lance, I've got photoshop but haven't looked into doing this...maybe I'll do a google and see what kind of work is involved. It will take me hours I imagine to do this on all the photos I've already got up. Sucks.

There are some free software programs that will batch process your watermark if you have a lot to do at one time. I usually just do them in photoshop as I use them, it just takes a few extra seconds.

By, the way my clivia is in full bloom now and is gorgeous!

I like clivias, my mother always had them growing on her patio when I was a kid. I saw what I think was a specie of Clivia growing wild in Peru.

The only way I knew about this infringement is that I'm paying for it!! They were linking directly to my site and it came up under my monthly useage listing. I wouldn't have been able to tell if they had directly copied/downloaded my image and put it in their auction as theirs...so this is happening too, I'm sure.

Well in my opinion linking to your image is not nearly as bad as putting the image on their own server. At least linking will bring visitors to your site. I'm not even sure linking falls under copyright infringement? The web link is kind of like a public street address is it not? :confused:

No, my site info. doesn't come up. Just the photo shows on the auction, and my site gets charged for the useage. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly.

Edit: Hehehe I fixed them, for at least a while...

Candace said:
No, my site info. doesn't come up. Just the photo shows on the auction, and my site gets charged for the useage. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly.

If they linked to your photo your URL will appear on their browser Address bar. Although not obvious it can be seen by the viewer so it can lead someone to your site. That is not always an easy thing to accomplish from ebay. But if you don't want to attract different viewers I can see how it would be annoying.

There are some html code features that will allow you to block downloading or copying of images from your web page if you don't want to go to the hassle of watermarking each image.

I see the clivia auction ended with your theft notice. I also see the seller was in Australia. International image theft?

No, when they steal bandwith my address doesn't show up at all...that's the problem!

I switched photos on my server so that picture showed up. Smart idea, eh:evil: :evil: It wasn't my idea, but a goodie.

It will show up in all their past auctions that are stealing my photo and bandwith!! they have no current auctions pending. They used my photo in at least 10 past auctions...

gonewild said:
If they linked to your photo your URL will appear on their browser Address bar. Although not obvious it can be seen by the viewer so it can lead someone to your site. That is not always an easy thing to accomplish from ebay. But if you don't want to attract different viewers I can see how it would be annoying.

There is no actual "linking" involved. The person just displays the image in their auction by using the copy of the photo hosted on her domain.

It's like me posting a photo here that is hosted on Imageshack. The picture doesn't actually function as a clickable link, and the only way to know the photo is even hosted on Imageshack is to right click and check the properties.

OK, I had assumed they had a html link rather than an imbedded image.

Candace you should put your copyright and URL on your theft image notice. That way anyone that sees it will go to your site. Tell the reader where it was stolen from and where to get a better Clivia. ;)

I posted a bunch of clivia and landscape photos on the OSF tonight. I don't have them loaded on my site or I'd put a link in.

Candace said:
...I switched photos on my server so that picture showed up. Smart idea, eh:evil: :evil: It wasn't my idea, but a goodie.

that was fan-freakin'-tastic!!!! gave me a big smile.

I've started using a little freeware program called 'Picture-Shark'. It lets me imbed an image into photos (I made a little copyright logo). Quick, easy. Not the world's best user interface, but by far not the worst, either.

I try to do that for all the pictures I post now. I'm sure I don't remember all the time though

At least they did not try to sell your plants, and list the item as from ElkGrove ,California.:rollhappy: :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back