eBay Cyp acule - good idea?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
I found this. Cheap Cyp acuale for auction on eBay. However they are all broken dormancy. I'm not sure if it is a good idea since they are all in bloom and he wants to ship them bare root according to the auction...uummm is it safe? If I buy lots to plant under the pine tree that would be nice...and the soil there is very organic from many years of decomposed needles (like 20 years)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150128233160&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1

I'd pass.....C. acaule is OK to transplant in the late summer, early fall, while still green but just before going dormant, but once it starts growing in the spring transplanting is problematic. Before trying to grow acaule, check your soil characteristics...more important than organic content is its texture, pH and nutrient level. It should be sandy, and very acid....mine grow at 3.9. Also, the soil should be EXTREMELY low in nutrients...mine has virtually no practical amounts of N and P....its basically acidic sand with a tiny bit of oak humus. Take care, Eric

Bump

I am considering this Cyp acuale again maybe.

This one the same seller, same listing, 3 years later. http://cgi.ebay.ca/6-Pink-Lady-Slipper-Orchid-Plants_W0QQitemZ150453266014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item2307b6a65e Cheap price, but Cyp. transplanting in the summer is not ideal according to most sources...these are not common plants to find though

My area under the conifer trees have been a sucessful area for cyps because of the lighting (soil replaced for those than don't like it acidic). There is plenty of pine needle compost and mulch, it is very organic under there because no one clears the dead pine needles that is now heaping. I logic tells me that it is an ideal area, without doing any testing

Fren,
It isn't good to transplant them in summer!! Acule is very tempermental about thier roots being disturbed at anyime during the growing season especially. if you want them ask the seller if he can hold off shipping until the fall when they go dormant!! Or ifg he has to ship thhem now if he can do it with the dirt attached as to not to disturb the roots!!

Back