"Easy" multiflora Paph hybrids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no "hard" or "easy" paphs to grow, I could say harold koopowitz are easy to grow and bloom because it's easy to drop my temps and have bright winter light or kolopakingii are easy because of consistent high humidity and 70 percent shaded light, everybodys conditions are different you just have to find what grows good under your conditions

Not bad, anything with gardinieri will be compact and hardy. Also any haynaldyanum hybrids if you like those. I will post my Lebaudyanum, which is in spike, later. Check out the primary hybrids:
http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphprimaries/index.html
I like gardineri a lot and despite my repeatedly attempts at killing mine, it's still alive and growing. Compact and hardy is exactly what I want. :D

There is no "hard" or "easy" paphs to grow, I could say harold koopowitz are easy to grow and bloom because it's easy to drop my temps and have bright winter light or kolopakingii are easy because of consistent high humidity and 70 percent shaded light, everybodys conditions are different you just have to find what grows good under your conditions
Hence the quotations marks, since I know it's different for everybody. :poke:

Since MK seems to be generally considered an "easy" Paph (I guess this means it can grow/flower in a wide variety of conditions), I wanted to know if there were any other hybrids also generally considered "easy". We'll see how these hybrids like my conditions. I hope they'll like them a lot. :D

There is no "hard" or "easy" paphs to grow

:confused:
Are you serious?

I might not be the most experienced grower (in fact I know I am far from it), but I can assure you that there are easy and there are hard paphs to grow. An easy rule of thumb is to check the species distribution. If the species is widespread in natural distribution, chances are it is an easy grower. Species with a very isolated and restricted distribution tend to be harder. I know it is not a fixed rule, but logic dictates that if a species has a wide distribution, it can grow under a variety of conditions, while if it has a very limited footprint, chances are there is something very very specific about its cultural requirements.
So phili has a broad distribution and I think most growers would agree that it seems to be easy. I accept that you don't like phili, but it offers ease of culture to its progeny and that is hard to beat. Stonei is also quite widespread and although I don't find it easy, I do find the hybrids 'easier'. I prefer Lady Roths to Lady Issabel, also easier to bloom (but that is possibly because I find roths very easy in my conditions)
Multis crossed by cochlos tend to be easy to grow and flower.
I personally would stay away from multi x brachy or parvi. They seem to grow easy, but are difficult to bloom, and even more difficult to bloom well.
(Blooming well is another factor to consider!)
I find bel Royal very easy, but it is a monster plant.
Another route is 'maudiae' type x multi. Easy to grow, but some are awesome while others are dogs,

I accept that you don't like phili, but it offers ease of culture to its progeny and that is hard to beat. Stonei is also quite widespread and although I don't find it easy, I do find the hybrids 'easier'. I prefer Lady Roths to Lady Issabel, also easier to bloom (but that is possibly because I find roths very easy in my conditions)
Multis crossed by cochlos tend to be easy to grow and flower.
I personally would stay away from multi x brachy or parvi. They seem to grow easy, but are difficult to bloom, and even more difficult to bloom well.
(Blooming well is another factor to consider!)
I find bel Royal very easy, but it is a monster plant.
Another route is 'maudiae' type x multi. Easy to grow, but some are awesome while others are dogs,
At least if I can't flower them, I could always sell them (unless I kill them first). It's good that there are more Paph crazy people out there. :D

Latest posts

Back