"Easy" multiflora Paph hybrids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
So, now that my MK's flowering, I realized I want more multiflora hybrids. I've also come to the conclusion that hybrids might be easier for me than species, since I'm a windowsill grower (so getting more, big Paphs, will fix the non-problem of having a view...).

I'm now pondering about which hybrids to consider. I don't know if any other hybrid is considered as easy as the MK, but that's apparently a difficult level I can deal with. :D

I have a PEoY, but I don't know if I'll be able to bloom it. I also have 4 roths, a gardineri, a philippinense var. roebelenii, and a wilhelminae as species multiflora. They grow, but I don't know if I'm able to flower them yet (young plants all of them).

I've gotten several suggestions that I think are looking interesting:
Paph. Screaming Eagle
Paph. Angel Hair

The problem with these two crosses, is that I think they might be difficult getting a hold of in Europe.

Other suggestions are:
Paph. St. Swithin
Paph. Gary Romagna
Paph. Moustache

The first two are available in Europe, the last one I haven't been able to find for now. The problem this time is that after looking at pictures of these crosses, I've come to the conclusion that, with the exception of MK and Berenice (going to get a Berenice), I'm not a huge fan of philippinense hybrids. Sorry. :eek:

So, do you guys have suggestions for what I could consider apart from the ones mentioned already?

So in short:
Windowsill grower located in Sweden, with nice, big East facing windows (with some T5 for the darker months), and temperatures ranging between 18C°-27C° (colder can be provided during spring - autumn with the use of a balcony), is looking for a relatively easy and attractive multiflora hybrid, who is not too finicky about humidity and likes cats.

Two that I think you might like are Paph Julius, and Houghtoniae and after seeing the beautiful Bel Royal that Gary/Trithor grows I am putting one of those on my list.

there are a lot of anitum & adductum hybrids coming out these days. not sure if any have made it to Europe yet but they are awesome.

Oh, I thought you were interested in sanderianum multi-floral hybrids only.

Other multi hybrids you may want:
Paph Bernice: philip x lowii
Deena Nicole: philip x praestans (relatively long petals)
Addicted Philip: philip x adductum (also relatively long petals)

half-multis you may want:
Gloria Naugle (Roth x Micranthum): may not be easy to bloom, but advantage is relatively large flower on relatively small plant
Dolgoldi (Roth x armeniacum): same as above.
Or get st. swithin x micranthum/armeniacum (so St. Swithin instead of Roth in the above parentage; should make plant easier to bloom; but may be harder to find).

Except for MK and Julius I would avoid lowii hybrids..borderline awful..large plants, small flowers (most Berenice are terrible)
Anitum/adductum hybrids for sure (my favorite) (Monsoon Temptation especially)
I am not too sure about the old school (non roth) primary hybrids..unless you can find plants with exceptional parents or great clones..there are just too many new (complex multi) hybrids that are easier to flower with better flowers.
Sanderianum complexes (where sanderianum is 1/4 or less parent) are good too..compact growths

I am also a windowsill mutifloral grower and would consider most of the muti hybrids are not difficult. To my view, other than MK, William Ambler is the easiest while Saint Swithin is also considered acceptable. I would avoid hybrids with adductum/anitum, stonei, gigantifolium as parents as I obseved that they grow much more slowly than others.

I would avoid hybrids with adductum/anitum, stonei, gigantifolium as parents as I obseved that they grow much more slowly than others.
I agree with the adductum, anitum and the stonei. But roth x gig is usually a pretty fast grower. And so are other gig primaries.

Thanks for all your suggestions, people. I knew I could count on you to increase my collection beyond capacity. :wink:

Reading your posts, googling images, and checking what my favourite vendors have available (I'm ignoring Orchid Inn for now, Sam has almost everything I want, but then I would have to wait for sooo long!), I have made a list of possible prospects (unfortunately, there's no way in [insert fitting obnoxiously warm place here] I can afford all of them, and to save on shipping costs, I have to pick one vendor):

From Elsner:
Paph. MK x gardineri (looks like it can be a really nice cross) NBS
Paph. Bel Royal BS
Paph. Berenice NBS
Paph. Delrosi BS (I already have a Delrosi, but this seems to be the reverse cross from mine, and therefore might be easier to flower)
Paph. Gloria Naugle BS
Paph. Mem. Rex van Delden NBS (instead of Dollgoldi, which she doesn't have anymore)
And she also has both St Swithin NBS and Moustache BS. She seems to have Lady Isabel as well, and while I like the look of this cross, it doesn't say what size it is. I would love a NBS or BS plant, which I think the ones she has is not.

From Schwerter:
Paph. Mount Toro x gardineri, BS and ca one year from BS.
Paph. MK x gardineri, two years away from BS.
Paph. Wössner Kolarmi, one year away from BS (again, since they don't have Dollgoldi, but something similar).
Paph. Bel Royal NBS
Paph. Berenice, 1-1½ years from BS
Paph. Lady Rothschild 1-1½ years from BS and NBS

They also have St. Swithin, a year from BS, and Julius, young plant. Same as with Elsner, they have Lady Isabel, but it's a young plant, several years away from reaching BS.

From Asendorfer:
Paph. Wayne Booth, young plant
Paph. rothschildianum BS (it's a hybrid, I swear... :p )

Now, which vendor to go for... :confused:

Lately, I bought some plants from Regina Elsner. All in excellent condition and many growths.

Lately, I bought some plants from Regina Elsner. All in excellent condition and many growths.
She usually have some nice plants. I've only bought one Paph from her earlier, a BS philippinense var. roebelenii. Unfortunately, I think that was the last one she had left, and it came with most of its roots a ball of mush. I think that was an exception though, since the Phals I've bought from her have been in excellent shape.

I'm leaning towards ordering from her, since her plants are the larger ones. The Paph. MK x gardineri is a given (don't think it'll be as nice as Sam Tsui's cross, but I might get lucky). The big question now is, which Paphs should accompany it? :confused:

Personally. Id avoid kolo hybrids on a windowsill - just to big (so you can have as meany plants).
Id have Lady Isabel/Rothschild and a nice St Swithin.
That was one of the things I was contemplating when looking at the Bel Royal and also why I'm not picking any roth x gigantifolium hybrids. Good thing you pointed it out.

Lady Rothschild is a huge temptation. The one not BS from Schwerter, actually has named parents. Anyone recognize Lady Isabel 'TN' and rothschildianum 'Tiger'? Here's a picture of the parents: Lady Rothschild This means ordering from Schwerter instead, but they also have the MK x gardineri, albeit a younger plant than Elsner...

Decisions, decisions...

So, I placed my order less than an hour ago. I went with Schwerter in the end (mostly because they had more hybrids to choose between) and hopefully the plants will arrive by the end of next week. It's unusually mild here in Sweden (I thought for sure it would be too cold to order now, but it looks like the mild temperatures will hang around for a while still), so shipping should be fine.

This is what I ordered in the end:
Paph. Mount Toro x gardineri, BS.
Paph. MK x gardineri, two years away from BS.
Paph. Wössner Kolarmi, one year away from BS.
Paph. Lady Rothschild 1-1½ years from BS.

My Christmas gift to myself. :D

Now I just hope the filters for my humidifier will arrive soon, so I can increase the humidity to reasonable levels, at least.

Latest posts

Back