ease of growing besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be tempted to get someone to buy a hangianum flask but I don't know how long to grow to blooming size! hangianum x armeniacum or hangianum x Joyce Hasegawa would be very nice too
If I google Sun Moon paph, I find a whole list of hangianum hybrids to drool on....sun moon flasks
their $25 maudiae type crosses are worth attempting b/c they are cheap, easy and grow so fast.
But all their hangianum flasks are worth the money if they don't die since vendors already sell what hangianum hybrid seedlings they have for a lot (Assuming Sun Moon sells correctly labelled flasks since I've heard of issues in the past...)

Yes they did, and they never sold out. they will be available agian in Vancouver. They also had antium and micranthum ebur...

Kyle

I wish so much for the day that I can hold one of those red hangianum flasks or eburneum in my hands.
Canadian SOF members are so lucky.
:sob:

I decided against getting flasks from Sun Moon is exactly the stories I've heard about their mislabelled plants in the past. I don't want to spend 7 years growing the "hangianums" or other species to blooming size only to discover they are all mislabelled! Esp the micranthum var eber. and the hangianum 'big red' (or something like that) flasks are not cheap.

Hien.. think of it this way, US phrag and neofinetia lovers are A LOT luckier than us Canadians :pity:

I decided against getting flasks from Sun Moon is exactly the stories I've heard about their mislabelled plants in the past. I don't want to spend 7 years growing the "hangianums" or other species to blooming size only to discover they are all mislabelled! Esp the micranthum var eber. and the hangianum 'big red' (or something like that) flasks are not cheap.

Hien.. think of it this way, US phrag and neofinetia lovers are A LOT luckier than us Canadians :pity:

Yes, what you say & Candace's post about a customer's unhappy Phal post on ebay today reminds me of the hangianum x roths seedlings with the Mem. Larry Hueur's leaves that I & other got in the past :p(although they are not from SunMoon)

:pity:
I agree, I can't have get OZ besseae or the newest stuff from chuck acker and neofinetia are near impossible to get. Some of these phrags I get as second hand plants...my OZ besseae is a dog (but a pretty dog)

I am absolutely sure hangianums are in your country Hien....no one openly says so for the most part

Well I think I will just sit tight till I take in an orchid show. Maybe just maybe hubby will take in the May Vancouver show with me.

Anyhow, I did get responses from Paramount and Clouds. First of all, Paramount regarding besseae they are sold out of. They also said it can be a very temermental plant to grow and bloom just with home culture. They recommended Prissy though, but I will just wait and see if a hybrid with besseae at a show catches my attention.

Paramount also has some very small seedlings of concolor bellatulum. Estimated bloom time about 4 years. I will also pass on this but thought that maybe some of you that are closer to Paramount would like to know this, it is not on their site yet.

Clouds, has the concolor and again a seedling approx blooming time 4 years.

Don't really know if I truly like the yellow background and spots as appose to the bellatulum with the white and red spots.

So just thought I would let you all know this. I will work on my bellatulum that is shooting up another leave and hopefully will bloom for me this year. When it does you can be assure that I will post a picture for you all.

Amy

Clouds, has the concolor and again a seedling approx blooming time 4 years.

Amy

Hello Amy,
Concolor normally don't take that time to bloom, it's a fast grower if provided bright light and quite high temps. 2 years (max 3 for the slowest) from flask seems closer to reality. :)

Back