ease of growing besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paph Vanda M. Pearman will be very much like betatullum. Mine is white and faintly spotted with pink (the parent bellatum was albino) and pouch like a bellatum. Some can be boldly spotted too.

Paph armenicum requires a cool winter to bloom which should not be a huge issue with Canadian winters. It is a parvisepalum which can take more light than brachys. It can also gets many stolonous growths so some growers place them in baskets or wide pots. I am sold that sphag and hanging basket is a good method of culture and I am going to try it myself with the ones I have when I find a basket. I think you said you are close to Vancouver...I wonder if they will grow outside for you, they can handle near freezing.

Armenicum hybrids are also gorgeous and should be easier to bloom. I would love to have a armenicum x concolor.

IMO $25 for a seedling sized concolor is a lot, but only because you can get larger sized at a similar price if you search (maybe locally). However I do trust clouds imports good flasks that are selected for quality flowers and perhaps worth the money and the wait.

Thank you both. I think I should just sit tight then. What I should do first of all is get my bellatulum to bloom first then think about getting something else.

Thanks for the info about Armeniacum, I will pass on this one for now.

The $25 for concolor is a bit steep I do agree especially when you have to wait for a couple of years like my bellatulum for a bloom.

Will keep my eyes open though and will have to take in a show for sure.

Amy

It is not really the price for me that matters so much it is the size of the plant. I ordered 4 seedlings from a vendor and all I have left is the bellatulum which is a nice size now after 2 years.

I lost one I just loved the look of and it was niveum.

So I am a bit reluctant to order seedlings again unelss they are quite a size.

Say does anyone here have Paph deperle???

I bought my deperle from paramount orchids. It's a easy grower and easily available...
Forestview gardens is also a orchid vendor who specializes in paphs and close to your area. They sell well grown plants.

i've been out of town for a bit, so I havne't read this thread. I'll try and comment on what I've read.

Ameniacum is harder to bloom then concolor.

Candace, I went to my first show in california last month (poe) and was blown away at how different it was from any canadian show. For 25 you could get a in bloom paph species. In canada, you get a seedling 2-3 years from bloom. So, it is steep in Canada. We don't have producers who grow large numbers of paphs.

Clouds has good plants at good prices. In my opinion they have always been bigger then expected.

Paramounts has an excellent selection, and thier phargs are big- multigrowth.

JP faust is, in my opinion, the best in CAnada. Best selection, best prices, big plants. Remember, he is the breeder, does all the lab work and growing. Everyone else in canada buys flasks or compots to re sell. Russell on this forum does his own breeding and flasking, but not on the scale as JP.

Chuck AKA fat old bald guy orchids, from edmonton does some of his own breeding, but also brings some flask in from the states (chuck acker stuff) and sells seedling sometimes. I don't know about his shipping policy.

The above are all good, honest guys.

Orchids by kimberly has a good selection and she is very knowledgable, but in my experience, her plants never have roots.. When you buy from her, it is an uphill battle to establish the plants. And her prices are on the high end of the bell curve , especially for what you get.

There are a lot of US vendor that come to canadian shows that can bring plants for you. Sam tsui is coming to vancouver next month, Bloomfield does lots of shows in the east. Norito hasagawa does Calgary quite often. And Ecuagenera can send phrags from many of the shows they do.

This weekend in Vancouver, Sun Moon orchids from Vancouver had in bud bellatulum and concolor for $15.

If you want something ask on the forum and someone should be able to tell you where to get it from in Canada.

Kyle

Hi! Phrag besseae or Prissy you say? Neither of them are especially easy. It's the other species that make besseae type phrags easy to grow. Waunakee Sunset can have a similar shape. If you want to pick something similar Mt. Maid is nice; Hanne Popow is similar and usually fragrant. You can look up infrageneric hybrids in the Phragweb site. JP Faust is in Canada and Orchids by Kimberly are 2 other Candian vendors [+ phrag guy here should have some for sale]. And Heather its another apricot colored Prisssy that I've been trying to get. :p

It is not really the price for me that matters so much it is the size of the plant. I ordered 4 seedlings from a vendor and all I have left is the bellatulum which is a nice size now after 2 years.

I lost one I just loved the look of and it was niveum.

So I am a bit reluctant to order seedlings again unelss they are quite a size.

Say does anyone here have Paph deperle???

Seedling arn't for beginners.

Forestview gardens has deperle. He ships, but isn't very far from you, in aggasi BC. His selction isn't fantastic, but his plants are excellent. If you are looking for Ho Chi Minh in canada, he is the best source.

Kyle

This weekend in Vancouver, Sun Moon orchids from Vancouver had in bud bellatulum and concolor for $15.

Oh Kyle I did not need to hear this. Oh my gosh, I could have had my friends that live there get it and sent it to me. Darn.

I do have bellatulum and it growing very well, waiting for the bloom now. I really wanted to add concolor along side with my bellatulum as I love yellow.

So my question to you is, do you know of anyone close to me besides Clouds that has this orchid (concolor)???

Clouds has it in a seedling size $25, I don't know if their seedling size is the same as Paramounts which are very small seedlings. But I am waiting to hear from Clouds as to their size on it.

Amy

Hi Amy,

If you can wait until May, you can either try to attend the Vancouver show or ask one of your friends (or me) to pick one up for you. Sun Moon is returning for the Vancouver show, I believe.. as well as other vendors that probably would have a blooming size brachy around $20-25.

Hi Amy,

If you can wait until May, you can either try to attend the Vancouver show or ask one of your friends (or me) to pick one up for you. Sun Moon is returning for the Vancouver show, I believe.. as well as other vendors that probably would have a blooming size brachy around $20-25.

Thanks for the offer, where do you live???

Amy

That is great, I will keep you in mind for sure. Say, can I ask you a question about the shows in the Vancouver area. Which one is the best one to attend??

I know there are a few there some in the fall too.

Amy

Wonder whether SunMoon brings those red hangianum seedlings & flasks that the forum members who went to WOC said they saw.

That is great, I will keep you in mind for sure. Say, can I ask you a question about the shows in the Vancouver area. Which one is the best one to attend??

I know there are a few there some in the fall too.

Amy

I personally like to the Fraser Valley show in October more. Although they do not have as many oversea/US vendors as the Vancouver show does, the members sale table are often full of goodies, afterall, it is the best time to sell off less loved plants to make space on the benches for the babies that have grown bigger over summer or all the new purchases for the year. :D

Best to find out yourself, by attending BOTH shows! :evil: :rollhappy:

Wonder whether SunMoon brings those red hangianum seedlings & flasks that the forum members who went to WOC said they saw.

Yes they did, and they never sold out. they will be available agian in Vancouver. They also had antium and micranthum ebur...

Kyle

There are probably half a dozen hangianum flasks left one Sunday.

Back