Early Spike Clarification

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalyke

Reaction score
Hi I have a question about "spikes." So I have 2 phrags. Is there any way to tell if the tiny center leaf is a spike or is just another flat leaf? Wondering for a friend. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC01328.JPG
    DSC01328.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC01329.JPG
    DSC01329.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01330.JPG
    DSC01330.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 13
No one has yet answered my little question, however, I will catch people up on this since I can. (Why not, right?) So the plants are Phrag QF Nohea ( Phragmipedium QF Naukana Kealoha × Phragmipedium Patti MacHale ). This is what I would call a typical Kovachii/Longifolium, with some Perciei/ Seargientum mixed in. The plant came in with pretty bad roots. A case of "I'll never buy from them again). I've re-potted, and I think that "spike," is empty. Just another leaf. I do not see any basal new growths starting either. The second Phrag, Karen Sue, ( Phragmipedium Red Rocket × Phragmipedium kovachii ) is mostly Kovachii 50%, but has some Besseae, longifolium, Seargiantum. So that one is growing like crazy. It came in with great roots, about 5 basal growths (at beginning stages) and what I suspect is a spike, is tightly closed, and "puffing up" which, to me, would indicate a new spike beginning. I like this one-- it has very Kovachii type puffy purplish flowers from all the pictures. The Nohea will probably sit out the season, healing and growing roots.

To me, that looks like it might be an emerging flower spike.

New leaves tend to have slightly unmatched profiles. By that I mean that the sides of the leaf tip are ever-so-slightly non-symmetrical around the mid-rib. When it is uniform, with no noticeable "split", it's more likely to be the tip of a spike.

Latest posts

Back