Drosera rotundifolia in the north

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spotted S. purpurea a few weeks back at the base of a ditch along a common highway in the middle of Manitoba. We can get pretty harsh winters here also, so these should be good candidates to grow outdoors in the north.

http://i.imgur.com/95pWqwl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NdtUskS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Peba4rX.jpg

I tried growing D. rotundifolia from seed but alas, I let it dry too much while I was on my trip up north and snapping these pics! My D. capensis were still okay, they weren't nearly as tiny.
If there's one thing these plants don't like, it's drying out haha

I spotted S. purpurea a few weeks back at the base of a ditch along a common highway in the middle of Manitoba. We can get pretty harsh winters here also, so these should be good candidates to grow outdoors in the north.

Very nice! If you get hold of some seeds, we can trade some seeds!

I know purpurea grows into Canada but in not sure up to where.
How were you growing yours?
Were you using distilled water? I've only recently started growing filiformis but i haven't really done anything special for it
They get as much sun as possible too

From this map, there are records in NW territories. Alaska is also included, but I didn't find any in our herbarium records.

Hmmm, I'm just using typical Drosera culture (1:1 peat:perlite, bottom water) for D. filiformis. I'm guessing that we don't have enough heat. I tried direct sun outside, but it is usually 70/50F max/min. Now it is indoor under light (others are doing ok), but it stays <80F most of the time. When I give food, the leaf becomes brown. I did get seeds from ICPS seed bank, and I'll see if they will do better than one clone I have.

How much humidity do you grow them with?
Do you let the tray dry out between watering?
I tried to get a picture of mine earlier but it's hard without an actual camera
e0fed4e5f05d1ab52bc145c74c5cd51c.jpg

abab9bc4df8e7adc59ba024f5950adea.jpg

Nice filiformis SWF Guy! I miss walking through the fields of them in the Florida panhandle.

Here is D. rotundifolia growing in a an upland bog (elevation ~1500 meters or 4,875 feet) in central Kyushu that I took back in 2006.

DrosRot_zpssgjggaun.jpg
I have yet to see rotundifolia in situ surprisingly enough haha, dews are always so interesting

Actually, if you saw them in the panhandle it's likely that those were D. trayci (very closely related and used to be a part of filiformis). The distinguishing trait is that trayci is mostly green while filiformis also has red in it

Actually, if you saw them in the panhandle it's likely that those were D. trayci (very closely related and used to be a part of filiformis). The distinguishing trait is that trayci is mostly green while filiformis also has red in it

Yup, in Liberty County, so most definitely D. tracyi. Fields of them covered in dew with the morning sunrise lighting them up. Quite a nice view. I've only seen the real filiformis in NJ many years ago as a teenager.

Very nice, SFLguy! RH is around 50-70%, I don't let it dry too much. Do you think that it is a problem for this species?

I didn't know D. tracyi was separated out.

Thanks for the in situ photo, Tom! Highland bog in central Kyushu means Kujuu region, which is an amazing area?

Yup, in Liberty County, so most definitely D. tracyi. Fields of them covered in dew with the morning sunrise lighting them up. Quite a nice view. I've only seen the real filiformis in NJ many years ago as a teenager.

Did you see the Sarracenia too? Those are usually nearby in Liberty Co, I've only seen filiformis in cultivation but I saw trayci in the same place as you haha

Very nice, SFLguy! RH is around 50-70%, I don't let it dry too much. Do you think that it is a problem for this species?

I didn't know D. tracyi was separated out.

Thanks for the in situ photo, Tom! Highland bog in central Kyushu means Kujuu region, which is an amazing area?

No, that should be fine
I believe the separation is a fairly recent occurrence

Naoki, yup, very near Kujuu peak itself. I've also seen this species in upland bogs on the Hiraodai karst plateau near Kitakyushu, growing right alongside Habenaria radiata. Kujuu is a nice area, but unfortunately overrun, particularly in the popular seasons, summer and fall.

Did you see the Sarracenia too? Those are usually nearby in Liberty Co, I've only seen filiformis in cultivation but I saw trayci in the same place as you haha

Sure, fields of them - leucophylla, psittacina, rosea, and various flava forms. Nice place to visit when they're in flower especially.

Naoki, yup, very near Kujuu peak itself. I've also seen this species in upland bogs on the Hiraodai karst plateau near Kitakyushu, growing right alongside Habenaria radiata. Kujuu is a nice area, but unfortunately overrun, particularly in the popular seasons, summer and fall.

Sure, fields of them - leucophylla, psittacina, rosea, and various flava forms. Nice place to visit when they're in flower especially.
I can imagine haha

If there's one thing these plants don't like, it's drying out haha

No kidding! I just cooked my capensis not too long ago. Luckily it had a bunch of new leaves coming and it has recovered. It gets a lot of sun. I've had a tough time finding a less sunny place to put it lately - hence the cook.

We had rotundifolia in our bog back in Central Ma. The thing about bogs (this was a kettle hole) is that they tend to be very chilly waters. We had lots of tamarack and cranberries in there as well. VERY different habitat from anything else in that area.

No kidding! I just cooked my capensis not too long ago. Luckily it had a bunch of new leaves coming and it has recovered. It gets a lot of sun. I've had a tough time finding a less sunny place to put it lately - hence the cook.

We had rotundifolia in our bog back in Central Ma. The thing about bogs (this was a kettle hole) is that they tend to be very chilly waters. We had lots of tamarack and cranberries in there as well. VERY different habitat from anything else in that area.
That is interesting haha
The bogs in northern Florida are pretty warm, but then again where in Florida is it not?

Latest posts

Back