Drier growing phrags - how dry is dry?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphius

Reaction score
Quick newbie question. Up until now I have only cultivated the "wetter" growing phrag species (and all are doing quite well). I have always loved Phrag caudatum though and am thinking about adding one to my collection. I know it's considered to be one of the phrags that likes it drier, but I am not sure how dry that should be exactly. Guessing it probably shouldn't sit in water like my other phrags. Should it be grown like a Paph? Or does it still like to be wetter than most Paphs?

Any tips or advice from those that grow any of the "dry" phrags successfully would be much appreciated! :poke:

I have had some Caudatums, Grandes, and Sorcerer's apprentice since the early 90's...they bloom easily in my opinion. I have not watered any of these any different! I have not allowed the Caudatum to stand in water. If they are getting a lot of light, it is hard to over water! Such a great orchid that thrives on attention!

I have had some Caudatums, Grandes, and Sorcerer's apprentice since the early 90's...they bloom easily in my opinion. I have not watered any of these any different! I have not allowed the Caudatum to stand in water. If they are getting a lot of light, it is hard to over water! Such a great orchid that thrives on attention!

Thanks for the tips! Guess I'll be growing it like a really wet Paph then :).

i grow them wet but without water in the bowl that air can come to the roots. Some of the species are epiphytic.

For what it's worth I am growing besseae (supposedly a wet grower) the same as every thing else. Just water when it's dry and they seem to be doing fine. It doesn't get any more water than paphs.

I went ahead and put it with my paphs and will just try and remember to water it more :p.

Latest posts

Back