Dream Hybrids MegaThread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've mentioned this to you before, Ernie, but I'd really like to see Paph. (micranthum x venustum), or vice versa. I think it'd be super-cool. And kinda dirty-looking.

I also want:

P. sangii x any of the cochlopetalum

P. villosum x concolor

P. appletonianum (or similar) x delenatii

P. sangii x delenatii (or vietnamense)

P. helenae x appletonianum

P. appletonianum x niveum

I also want:

P. sangii x any of the cochlopetalum
P. villosum x concolor
P. appletonianum (or similar) x delenatii
P. sangii x delenatii (or vietnamense)
P. helenae x appletonianum
P. appletonianum x niveum

I'm with Sue on the appletonianum and sangii hybrids... with any/all parvis especially.

Okay, I finally got caught up enough to read this thread.

I would like to see complex kovachii hybrids, to stabilize the form and shape, no floppy flowers, and keep the big size and intense colors.

(Alfredo Manrique x Allison Strom) etc.

((sargentianum or lindleyanum x kovachii) x kovachii) - to get a parallel version of Jason Fisher substititing kovachii for besseae.

I also would like to see more henryanum hybrids. All henryanum hybrids are good.

Big red complexes (bulldogs) backcrossed onto charlesworthii are floating around now...

Soooooo, anyone seen the album version of that... a yellow/green complex onto charlesworthii fma. sandowiae (album)???? I'd love to have a monstrous hybrid that could stunt double for a chuckworth sandow!!! Blaring white staminode and chubby dorsal sepal are a must!

-Ernie

We have a charlesworthii fma. sandowiae x Elfstone, If I have time I will post some pictures. I think the cross originated from Oz. We were actually able to use it as a parent as well, and have some seedlings going in the lab.

Robert

Okay, I finally got caught up enough to read this thread.

I would like to see complex kovachii hybrids, to stabilize the form and shape, no floppy flowers, and keep the big size and intense colors.

(Alfredo Manrique x Allison Strom) etc.

((sargentianum or lindleyanum x kovachii) x kovachii) - to get a parallel version of Jason Fisher substititing kovachii for besseae.

I also would like to see more henryanum hybrids. All henryanum hybrids are good.

Agree with you on those crosses! especially the ((sargentianum or lindleyanum x kovachii) x kovachii)!

other kovachii crosses that will be outstanding are: Fritz Schomburg (kovachii x besseae) x kovachii and Fritz Schomburg x besseae.

Robert

Another type of "dream cross" is any cochlopetalum intersectional. cross (for instance Paph. Vanguard or Paph. (vietnamense x moquetteanum)) backcrossed onto a cochlopetalum species or hybrid. In that way you would get sequential flowers that keep blooming with different colors. We have one primulinum that has had over 60 flowers on a spike and is in its 3rd year of blooming! It will be nice if they can pass that trait to other hybrids. I have tried breeding in those lines, but cochlopetalum intersectional hybrids tend to be reluctant breeders. The only successful cross that I have gotten thus far is (primulinum x delenatii) backcrossed onto our 4N primulinum. I can't wait to see if that will be a sequential bloomer!

Robert

Robert

Agree with you on those crosses! especially the ((sargentianum or lindleyanum x kovachii) x kovachii)!

other kovachii crosses that will be outstanding are: Fritz Schomburg (kovachii x besseae) x kovachii and Fritz Schomburg x besseae.
Robert

Robert, we are definitely thinking along the same lines. Great ideas. :clap:

Here is another one I would love to see, and it is not new, but rather old. I would love to see Paph Pelican (Sanderio-Superbiens x rothschildianum) registered in 1904 by N.C. Cookson - don't you wish you could see this one? I found no images using Google.

Paph Sanderio-Superbiens was registered in 1893 also by N.C. Cookson, I wager it was interesting but possibly not too shapely.

I love whites, and multiflorals, and sequentials. The first of these I ever got was Nimit, and it had three blooms and two buds on two spike last year. It is my icon. I have tried making several crosses with it, putting Brachys back onto it, with only one pod so far. Very few embryos, and the mother flasks were contaminated. So, more white sequetials.

The far-out intersectionals hold some appeal for me. I'm with Ernie when it comes to Cochlo crosses - they add an ease of growth and flowering that is difficult to find in other sections. The addition of Barbata and Cochlo genes to complex Paphs may seem like a pot-plant game for some, but to me it seems like a reasonable step toward producing multi-floral complexes that are easier to bloom. Who wouldn't want an Elfstone or White Knight or Winston Churchill with two flowers open at the same time on the same stem, with another on the way?

As far as kovachii goes...I'd like to see more line breeding and crosses between floriferous/hardy/fast growing strains of the species. I am still not impressed by any kovachii hybrid, and I'd much rather see a more freely available, affordable, and faster growing specimen of the species.

3 or 4 "things" :

Delrosi x micranthum : two seedlings which are growing well ow at home
Lola Bird, a cross form Sam Tsui
Lola Bird x roth again from Sam
a complex : Silent Knight x Amanda

Resteer...

Use your mind's eye and imagine what you want to see in the future. Not stuff you can buy or mail order right now or have on your bench already growing. And tell us what parents you'd use to get that desired result.

one true red paph : Kevin Porter x Amanda for example or Kevin Porter x Paeny Regency !

Latest posts

Back